Need Advice for ACC Carpet with Mass Backing Fit Problems

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by billkrz, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For molded set the only other option is OER but call Classic Industries to be sure. Carpet, like much of today's aftermarket stuff is a roll of the dice for fit.

Mass backing (thickness and stiffness) on ACC carpet reduces the ability to conform to curves and changes in direction
    Even without mass backing ACC molded can still fit poorly because of the polyethylene backing.

What ACC carpet type: 80/20 loop, cut pile, Essex? Essex is 1/8" thicker and more dense.
    Maybe the geometry of the interior has changed. Any factory insulation still on your firewall, floor pan, tran tunnel? Did you add any after market insulation?

Try building up the car area under and around the problems areas. Poly closed cell foam insulation would be good to use
    Try heating and reshaping the areas with an 1800 watt hair dryer
    Cut away the mass backing under the area you are working on when the bulges occur. Cut shallow relief slits into the poly backing. Probably do better grinding it off with a wood shaping tool (cylinder) in a drill You will see a color change from the black mb to the poly (clear)
    Cut the front piece into two pieces. The center console will cover the seam
    If you reorder, ask the retailer you purchase through for the heal pad to not be attached to the carpet. Lay the carpet, mark where you want the pad and take both to a trim shop to be sewn on

As Dave mentioned, I ordered ACC Essex by the yard. I wanted to recolor it with what I used on the door panels and other interior surfaces. Also have 7/8" of insulation from the lower firewall back to the rear footwell which throws off the geometry for a molded set. The color change is good but Essex will not conform to the complex curves and direction changes at the rear foot well/tran tunnel. Will have to drive to a trim shop for cut-and-sew

The bulge formations you described happened to me when I tried fitting the carpet at the rear footwell/trans tunnel. As I

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I think a large part of the problem is the time of year this project is being attempted. Ideally, you want to lay carpet out flat, preferably in the sun and let it soak in enough heat to make it more pliable.

Although my ACC carpet did NOT have the mass backing, it went in every bit as well as if I took it out of the car and laid it right back in place. I did mine in the middle of the summer...it was pretty hot outside, in the garage and inside the car.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  3. billkrz

billkrz Member

Thanks, Andy but isn't yours a 1 piece as opposed to the 2 piece? My car is in a paint booth which is plenty warm and I spread out the carpet for 2 months.
    Bill

4. billkrz

billkrz Member

Hi Chuck,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've noticed in the replies that folks who had minor problems have a 4sp. listed on their "bio" and I wonder if that is why theirs fits better than the automatic carpet.
    Here are some photos. You can see the driver's bulges and the tunnel bulge and the passenger side which looks pretty good. I'm concerned about the accelerator catching the "bulges" as well.
    I think the heel pad is part of the issue. I compared it to the original and it sits 2 inches rearward and 1 inch to the right compared to the original (which fits flat on the floor).
    I've tried:
    1) starting at the firewall
    2) starting at the molded front seat track locations
    3) starting at the tunnel
    4) starting at the door sills following the mass backing contours
    5) glueing the driver's side transmission tunnel near the bulges
    As the passenger side looks good and I will have a console, I'm thinking of cutting the carpet in 1/2 at the tunnel and then attempt to fit the driver's side using a lot of adhesive.
    IMG_7624.JPG IMG_7630.JPG IMG_7639.JPG IMG_7638.JPG

Attached Files:

5. billkrz

billkrz Member

I ordered the 80/20 loop. No modifications of the floor. I did leave the Type LT sound deadening but the factory jute was attached to the original carpet and removed with the carpet.

6. billkrz

billkrz Member

Thanks. Is your car a 4sp or an automatic as the carpet is different?

7. 93z

93z Veteran Member

I had the same issues. The rear fit great but the front was a mess. Bulges up around the trans tunnel and bubbles out in a number of places. I ended up pinching it together in the center creating a “spine” essentially. I poked holes through the spine then zip tied it to keep the spine permanently pinched together so it won’t relax. It tightened up against the trans tunnel for sure but it still doesn’t look anywhere near as good as the back. Most of the issues and the spine will be hidden under the console but the foot part under the pedals still has its share of bends and bulges too.

8. Bill Neumiller

Bill Neumiller New Member

I had the same problem with the carpet bulging behind the shifter. I ended up cutting a slit and letting it overlap as the console would cover it. Everything else went well with the install.
    IMG_9518.JPG IMG_9525.JPG

9. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bill - for clarification, mine is a 70Z with 4-speed. In addition, since it's a Z28, I also have the added benefit of the floor mounted gas pedal cup helping to secure the carpet to the floor on the driver's side...but even without the gas pedal cup installed, it fit pretty nice.

10. Bills69

Bills69 Veteran Member

mine is a 72ss 4-speed no console still poor fit