Need Advice for ACC Carpet with Mass Backing Fit Problems

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by billkrz, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Having looked at your photos, I think cutting the front carpet in half is your best option for a good fit. As it is now, pushing down the carpet to conform to the body displaces carpet in other locations and the only direction the displaced carpet can move is upward forming a bulge. With the carpet in half work from the center of the floor pan up the tunnel. Bulges that form can be worked flat towards the carpet edge on the tunnel.

80-20 loop is the least dense of the three ACC carpets giving you the best chance of a good fit

Your heal pad is to far towards the tunnel. Compared yours to the photo in Bill Nuemiller's post.

ACC recommends 3m Super 90 spray adhesive. 3m Automotive Aftermarket recommends air and surface temperature of at least 50 degrees F.

2. billkrz

billkrz Member

Hi Chuck, I agree 100% with both your heel pad and your "split the carpet" suggestion.
    My heel pad is bonded partially on the upward curve of the tunnel. If I tried to locate the heel pad like Bill Nuemiller's so it would lay flat, the molded edge on the driver's sill would almost be on the sill itself. I really think my heel pad was bonded in the wrong place.
    I sent photos to ACC with measurements of the heel pad location compared to my original and am waiting for their response.
    Bill

3. hubleyman

hubleyman New Member

You inspired me to install the ACC carpet in my 73 yesterday to see if there would be any fitment issues. I don’t have a console so splitting the carpet would not be a good option if that was required.

Started at the molded four speed tunnel corners since those were location critical, and then worked my way around. The heel pad had a small amount of buckling to start with, but ended up laying down fairly well in the end. Might have been better if the pad was installed about 1” to the left…

Pretty pleased with the final outcome. FYI - I did not glue any areas of this carpet to achieve these results. I’m thinking the automatic specific carpet may be more challenging since it doesn’t have then exact tunnel contour corners like the four speed version does.

Hope you find a good resolution to your fitment issues.

Charles

Initial laydown.jpg Set at trans tunnel.jpg Heel pad buckle.jpg Sides trimmed.jpg Finished carpet.jpg

4. billkrz

billkrz Member

Thanks, Charles, for the tips and photos. Would you mind measuring the distance from the seam (where the welting is) to the base of your heel pad for me? Yours looks much better than mine (mine was 12 inches, factory was 14 inches). I do agree that the heel pad should be at least an inch to the left on mine and yours looks similar.
    BTW: your interior looks great!
    Happy New Year!
    Bill

5. hubleyman

hubleyman New Member

Hi Bill,

The heel pad edge to the welting is 12" on my ACC carpet.

If you notice the seat bolts in my photos are right on the edge of the welt. The seat bolt holes in my original carpet were a couple inches away from the welt, so it could very well have been around 14" from the heel pad to the welt as you experienced. I no longer have the original carpet so I can't get any specific measurements to validate that layout.

And a Happy new year to you too !
    Charles

6. Bill Neumiller

Bill Neumiller New Member

Here's a better shot showing the position of my heel pad.
    IMG_9517.JPG

7. billkrz

billkrz Member

Here is an update to my original post. ACC made me go through Rock Auto to make a complaint rather than deal with me directly, which is a real pain. Rock Auto had ACC send me a new front 1/2 which I received today.
    In comparing it to the 1st. ACC, the heel pad is now about an inch to the left, which is better as I don't have the bulge I had on the transmission tunnel but it is 2 inches lower (nearer the welting) the the 1st. ACC carpet. In comparing it to my original factory carpet, it is 4 inches lower!
    Please see photos: from left to right is the replacement ACC, the 1st. ACC, and the factory carpet.
    I have not tried to install it because I did not want to cut it before I contacted ACC to tell them about the heel pad location. I sent them photos and they told me to go through Rock Auto again. I told them I was tired of this especially as I was told the replacement would be thoroughly inspected before shipment.
    Their response was:
    "we ask for management inspection when something ships. As with many other companies, we have felt the pain of being short handed because of sickness so we are doing our best to get things out in a timely manner and correctly"
    Wonderful. So, who knows what I would get the 3rd. time as apparently "management inspection" does not include the use of a ruler. I did offer to send them my original carpet to use as a pattern for the location of the heel pad but was told I would have to go through Rock Auto first.
    At this point, I will try the replacement as the heel pad location is at least further away from the tunnel and hopefully will reduce the bulges near the accelerator pedal (which was my primary concern to begin with).
    Bill
    IMG_7650.JPG

Attached Files:

8. billkrz

billkrz Member

UPDATE:
    After informing Rock Auto and ACC about my concerns about the heel pad on the replacement front carpet (it was moved to the left which is good but is too far rearward-see previous post with photos), I received permission to make an incision for the gearlever and to try the replacement for fit.
    It was a huge improvement over the original ACC carpet in the driver's heel pad/tunnel area. The body shop manager agreed and we both think that having the heel pad shifted to the left made a big difference.
    I then let it sit for a long weekend in a warm environment (body shop paint booth) so it could settle. I went back to the body shop today to look at the loosely installed carpet. As it still looked much better as far as bulges and fit, I continued the install.
    Attached are the photos of the finished product. It looks MUCH better and I do not have the transmission tunnel bulges near the accelerator pedal that I had before.
    Also, I installed the replacement without glue, cinder blocks, pounding with a block of wood and a rubber mallet, removing the ACC insulation, etc.
    I would rate the replacement as an 8 (out of 10) compared with the first ACC which I would rate a 3 at first and then a 5 after the 5 attempts at an install involving glue, ripping out ACC's insulation, pounding with a mallet, using cinder blocks to try to get it to flatten, etc.
    The only issues on the replacement ACC are:
    1) the heel pad should be moved forward to match the original but this will be hidden by the floor mat anyway
    2) there is still a bulge at the top of the transmission tunnel (see photos) near the firewall. This can be hidden by the console or (as others advised me) you can cut a slit at the top/apex of the tunnel at the firewall, then trim a slice out and glue the remaining carpet to the tunnel.
    I have sent Rock Auto the new photos and my above concerns and they are forwarding these to ACC's management. So, I am going to leave this as it is installed in the car. If the first carpet I received fit like this, I probably would have been fairly pleased (and been finished last month!)
    So, after all of this, my recommendation to everyone here is:
    if you are having problems, contact your vendor and ACC and bring your concerns (with photos) IMG_7754.JPG IMG_7756.JPG IMG_7760.JPG IMG_7761.JPG to their attention as ACC's production tolerances can vary quite a bit.
    Thanks to All,
    Bill

GoldenOne7710, 93z and BillyDean7173 like this.
  9. billkrz

billkrz Member

One more item on the ACC mass backed carpet which I have also passed on to Rock Auto and ACC is this:
    Their carpet insulation on the front half is also incorrect for an automatic transmission car. As you can see from the photo, the insulation on the left side stops far short of where it should. The insulation on the right side is correct as the automatic transmission gear lever mounts exactly in the top center of the transmission tunnel.
    On a 1970-73 Camaro manual transmission car, the floor mounted four speed gear lever is offset on the left side of the tunnel and my thought is that the insulation on my carpet was really made to compensate for this manual transmission.
    This insulation pad should not be used for the automatic transmission cars. The insulation should be centered and match the right side. The correct centered insulation would help with the look and fit of the carpet.
    I note that both my original ACC carpet as well as the replacement ACC carpet had the same insulation pad mounted to the carpet.
    Best Regards to all,
    Bill
    IMG_7657.JPG

10. EasyZ

EasyZ Member Gold Member

Gentlemen, I am in the process of purchasing new carpet for my 73, I don’t think I will have the issues you guys ran into since my Z is a column shift. But I was wondering if you can help me out?
    The carpet options I’ve been looking at are 80/20 loop with or without tail. I’m not sure I understand the difference between the two. Tail or without tail! Can someone fill me in? Is this referring to the small vinyl piece in-between the back seats?