Need Advice

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by suds788, Apr 28, 2021.

1. suds788

suds788 New Member

Looking for in put on what direction to go. The car 1972 SS Camaro with 402 ( And yes, it came with a 402 originally). Didn't think when I rebuilt the engine(putting high rise intake) now hood won't close. My question is do I go back with original intake and sacrifice performance or do I go with 2" cowl hood and sacrifice value of the car? Really beside myself which way to go. You guys are pretty good on advice what do you say? Thanks!

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would try a drop base air cleaner instead of the factory base.
    3C1DE33C-CEE4-42F7-AAD0-D6E97D02A549.jpeg

72BIGBLOCK, T/A Tom and Coadster32 like this.
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you're worried about performance, it seems you plan to drive it and need the cowl hood.

The car's value only matters if you plan to sell it.
    If you plan to sell it in the near future...
    Keep the original intake and hood for a future buyer and do what you need to make it drivable for now.

You wouldn't be the only person to have original parts stashed away while you enjoy your car with better performance.
    Some people pull and keep the original engines and transmissions just so they have the numbers matching stuff for the "someday" they want to sell it.

T/A Tom, Coadster32 and BillyDean7173 like this.
  4. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Are you selling the car or keeping it? Selling the car, it would probably be worth more with the original intake. If you are holding on to the car then I would put the taller intake on with cowl induction hood.

5. suds788

suds788 New Member

Thanks - I already have a 1" drop base. Tried going with 2" filter on top of that could close hood with a little extra effort but couldn't put air cleaner top on it. With the the 2" against the hood then I run into the problem of having enough clearence for air flow.

6. suds788

suds788 New Member

Good input Thanks. Have had the car for 38 yrs. and no plans of getting rid of. I've been restoring it for the last 2 yrs. and I was trying to keep it as close to original as possible. (Not totally Original but close!! ) Just going with a cowl that doesn't belong there just doesn't seem right - But that's me.

7. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

Im kinda sick of cowl hoods. Every chevy i see has one from trucks to novas to camaros and monte carlos. Be different if you're not going stock. Find like an 78/79 z28 hood and cut it up to make hood scoop functional or an 80 or 81 z28 hood. Now there used to be old school aftermarket intakes that would fit underneath the hood. I want to say the old offenhouser tarantula was one iirc. If you do some research someone will know.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  8. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

Stand out from the crowd and run a Grumpy Jenkins style flat top snorkel scoop. Keep your original hood for the next owner.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

What type of intake are you using exactly ? if you go to the original intake, how much power will you loose, or think you will loose. Have you looked at the L88 or 70-72 Vette LT1 base, it's one of the best flowing ones out there and gives a 2" drop.

I'm with you on "NOT" giving up on any power, hell I chase it for a living almost LOL.

I got a 1972 Z28, I cut up the original hood to hand fabricated my own 4 piece steel cowl because nothing on the aftermarket fit the way I liked, so I made my own. Dyno'd the engine, and built/fabbed the cowl to fit.

If you have stripes, it kind of disappears in a way, and mashing the gas of the 540hp SBC and pulling on those 6 gears, I don't even notice the cowl anymore, and the passengers don't notice it as well.

Your ride, build it the way you want, not for the next guy.

Pic1.png

Postmech, Zstar and T/A Tom like this.
  10. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ditto what Twisted said.

Also, if your not keen on cowl hoods, maybe consider finding a later model hood with the air induction, then cut you what you need from below. Get the clearance you need while still retaining some semblance of original Camaro....,

--

T/A Tom likes this.