Need advise on removing undercoating

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by lapedr, Nov 23, 2018.

1. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

what is the best technique, strategy to remove rubberized undercoating, nor concerned about mess

2. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Needle scaler if it is hard enough.

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

To do it by hand a wire brush scrappers and a lot of elbow grease . Its a real "joy" to do .But when finished You will know the ins and outs of the underneath of your car, And the satisfaction on just how good it looks,

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I use a propane torch heated putty knife. Slow but effective. I’ve been meaning to get a large high wattage soldering iron and fit it with a SS blade on the end.

5. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I spent about a 1 1/2 years getting rid of undercoating (ziebart) and painting , totally disassembled camaro, used a heat gun, oscillating tool from harbor freight with different size blades and hand scraper. Washed small parts in parts cleaner, used a garden sprayer with super clean de-greaser and parts cleaner brush for large parts and under-body, have lots of oil absorbent material. Then I used a sand blaster and a mini grinder with a knotted wire wheel, do not use a crimped wire wheel as you will be cover in little wires. Washed large parts with pressure washer and de-greaser. Then I sprayed every thing with brake cleaner and wiped down till cloth was clean. Then I used a 60 grit wheel on mini grinder to rough up the metal, so por-15 would stick and stick it does. Do not get discouraged as it takes a lot of time and effort, but the results are worth it. Have good chemical resistant gloves and googles

6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Propane torch and putty knife (scraper) for the flat surfaces. Kerosene brushed on for harder to get at places. Takes several coats of the kero -and time, but won't damage any paint etc.

7. 69venture

69venture Member

I did like tom3. Heat gun and a putty knife, then kerosene and course scotch brite, finally heavy duty degreaser and a pressure washer.
    IMG_0229.JPG IMG_0231.JPG

8. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

If the cars stripped and you’re not a sadomasochist take it to a media blaster and get them to blast and prime with epoxy.

Otherwise pressure wash with a detergent type degreaser, then oven cleaner and a steam cleaner from your local hire place. Might take a few rounds but should come up nice enough to treat any rust, scuff and paint or undercoat with something like Dinitrol 4941:

For stubborn spots you can also soften things up with a cheap solvent of choice like kero, diesel or turps. Just make sure it’s something that doesn’t evaporate too quickly and be mindful of where the runoff is draining.