Need better brakes

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by valleyguy, Feb 19, 2020.

1. valleyguy

valleyguy Veteran Member

71 Camaro; I converted the manual brake setup to power booster (disc front, drums rear, stock sizes); definitely not satisfied with braking performance, even though I went through all the recommended steps when making this modification; changed the position of the booster rod on the pedal, etc.; wondering if bigger rotors, better pads, etc. will help. thoughts??

2. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

What are you trying to accomplish? Is this for street, Track, etc?

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

First thing that comes to mind is how much vacuum is the engine producing, without being in the 15-18" range, you may not get everything out of the system. A good set of pads can make a big difference, enough so that the tires grip begins to be the limiting factor.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

A healthy and properly working OEM system will lock the brakes up under full pedal. Is everything new? My guess is going to be air in the system, rear brakes are not adjusted. What proportioning valve are you using?

Did you drill a new hole in the pedal? I honestly don't know the difference as a reproduction pedal only comes one way from what I have seen.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

What is a good front pad for this setup (stock disc/drum)?

6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Hawk pads HB103F HPS compound are good pads.

dale68z and xten like this.
  7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have 11-12” of vacuum at idle and have no problems with Napa TruStop part # TS728AM Semi Metallic in the past and I'm currently using Raybestos Element 3 part # EHT52 (best attributes of ceramic and semi-metallic all in one pad).

I have no issues with either brand pads. I only changed to the Raybestos pads because I replaced my original 70 Z28 rotors with Raybestos 5214R. Don’t forget to follow pad and rotor breakin procedures per manf.

xten likes this.
  8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Good points from badazz, I know my original brake pedal had 2 holes, 1 for manual and one for power, there was no manual/power pedals, there all the same. Aftermarket may just be producing a "power" version as not much people go manual brakes these days.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well, I use 13"/12.2" disks with adj. prop valve that i adjust in the car, so not fair in comparing to a disk/drum setup.

But I have been using the Wilwood BP10, BP20's an experimental pad (Q-E) they made for me, and have had good results with Hawk HPS, and on the heavy braking road course, the Hawk HP+ in the front, they screech and dust up like a SOB when cold, but they work great when you get heat in them. I use the HPS on the autocross, or BP10's, did not like the BP20's as much.

xten and hubedobeedo like this.
  10. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

need detailed set up and what you are testing(specific)