Need front axle weights please

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Scarebird, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Scarebird

Scarebird Member

I am having rattle issues with the LS3 powered TA I have built. I am currently running 301 TA non-AC springs with one loop snipped off.
    Stock on rates these are 329 lbs/in., I estimate I am at 380 lbs/in after snipping a coil. Ride height is perfect. This is way too much for a mill that weighs 440 pounds vs close to 575 for a 301 and trunk mounted battery, lightweight starter, etc... My axle weight with 200 pound driver and full fuel is 1920 front, 1660 rear.

What I am looking for is actual weights of the front axles and which motors, trans and options to build a database so I can build a spring that is suited for daily driving with an LS mill.
    Any real (not guess's or internet figures) are welcome.

2. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

This isn't what you asked for but I can tell you my LS3, glass hooded, trunked battery, 72 Camaro handled and rode , even transferred wt near perfectly with Moroso trick springs with a coil snipped. That is a 212 in lb spring with a coil cut off, so.....225-230 in lbs ? It was a little soft without the Hotchkis sway bar connected, but was fantastic on all accounts when It was hooked up. Ive since added a 100 lbs or so with a turbo setup and am going to install a set of coil overs with 250lb springs.

3. Scarebird

Scarebird Member

actually that does help quite a bit - first hand knowledge here, thanks.

4. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

What shocks are you using? Imho the springs rates get blamed for poor ride quality when in fact the shocks and or binding suspension bushings are really the issue. I have a 750# front spring and 500# rear spring and I can set the shocks up so the car rides fantastic, a high quality shock can have a dramatic impact on ride quality. Fwiw the rear springs have the most impact on ride quality.

5. Scarebird

Scarebird Member

Konis in the front, Bilsteins in the rear.

I ordered a set of Moroso "drag" springs, 230# units (47175). We shall see how they work.

UPDATE: INstalled the new springs, about an inch higher (hopefully settles a bit) but the ride is MUCH better.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016