Need garage help!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buck Heard, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Buck Heard

Buck Heard Veteran Member

My wife and I are building a new house and with it we are trying to decide on a detached two car garage for my Camaros. I need help with the following questions...

I am wanting to put a four post lift in it like REDDEVIL has in the following link. From reading that thread I believe I will have to have 10ft ceilings. Is that correct?

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39538&highlight=garage

Also do you guys think that a 22ft x 22ft garage will be big enough to house two cars and still be able to work on them/around them? I think this size is as about as big as I can get with the lot I've got.

Please help guys! Thanks! Oh and if there is anything else I have forgotten that I need to take into account, please let me know.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Go as big as you can - then add 10%. :) If I had my way, I'd have an oversized three car & the lift in one of the side bays, and no posts/obstructions. My attached is 22x25, and I could always use more room. Can't open these big ass doors all the way on the wall side. I guess I would want like 48x32 or so, an oversized 3 car, but that is dreaming, isn't it.

I'd want closer to 12' height, but that is me. I'd like to put my truck in the air too. I'd also want a 2 post, but we've collectively had that conversation already in the aforementioned thread. Just personal preference.

Heat (do youneed that?) AC (that I think you do). Electrical service (like 60-100 amp). Plumbing. Some storage. Lots of lighting.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  3. dcs13

dcs13 Veteran Member

They're NEVER big enough. 22x22 is a little bigger than what is average around here. Any chance you could make it a 2 story ? That upstair would be great for storage. Add as many electrcal outlets as you can. Plan for your 220 line for a compressor and welder.Maybe recess the lighting for more room. Add some good fans or windows for cross ventilation.
    Check out this site as well:
    www.garagejunkies.net

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Do a loft setup over the non-lift bays. :)

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I did mine 24x48x10. I think that 24 wide is the minimum you should accept for working in. 26 or 28 would be better. I think you will find that 10' high isn't enough for a lift. You probably should go to 12 feet high instead for a lift. You can lift a Camaro in a 10', but it isn't enough for a SUV or a pickup that is taller. Check the lift manufacturers and they should be able to give you an idea of the height you should have.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

My attached garage for parking the daily drivers is a two stall 26x26, so I guess you know my thoughts on a 22x22....

22x22 is big enough to park two Camaro's in, but I'd hate to have to try and work on one of them with the other car inside. And where are you going to put the lift?

My detached is 30x40.

If I were you, I'd really try and get at least one dimension to 28 - 30 feet to allow room to work on a car.

I also agree that 10' ceilings are the bare minimum for a lift. I did 10' sidewalls, but went with scissor trusses so I actually have nearly 15' at the center.

7. REDDEVIL

REDDEVIL Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went 10' 2". full 8ft studs, 2 foot stem wall, and then you have two plates at the top and bottom (6" total). Then you subtract 4" for your slab. Plan where you want the lift and pour a little deeper there (Dig down an inch or two and add compacted gravel). I wouldn't go narrower than 24' if at all possible. Truss engineering changes beyond 24' and becomes more expensive. I don't see much difference going from 22-24' in cost. I also went 28' deep because I have a storage area above and needed room for stairs (subtract 4' for stairs from usable floor space). I recommend this too if possible, using attic trusses. Clears up the floor with spare parts upstairs.

8. BamaRocker

BamaRocker Veteran Member

Clears up the floor with spare parts upstairs.

And room for my bed....You moving close to me I aint driving home I'll be sleeping it off to work on the cars the next morning....Hahahaha.

Congrats again to you both on the house....:) :) :) :)

9. buckeye79Z

buckeye79Z Veteran Member

Buck;

If 22' X 22' is all you have, it beats 0' X 0' by a longshot.

What are your constraints? Is it physical, as in a small area bounded by your house and lot lines. Or is it local ordinances that are dictating size based on lot size?

If its physical limitations, then build what you can. (see above)

If it is local codes, consider applying for a variance from set backs and lot line restrictions. Contact your local building department and find out how to appeal to the zoning board. Make a professional looking application and provide any info and supporting documents that are requested. An extra 2 to 4 feet would make it functional as a place to park cars and store your tools.
    22' X 22' is just enough to park, and be able to open doors enough to get in and out easily. The back wall will be your only option for shelving or a small workbench.

10. A71SS4ME

A71SS4ME Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Buck, there is a lot of good info here.
    www.garagejunkies.com