Need help figuring out a 71 color

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by f-body freak, Dec 28, 2018.

1. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Years back I bought a 71 RS for parts. Mainly for the front end parts. Not sure what life the poor girl led, but it was a rough one. Car was a roller with an 81 front clip on it. All the RS parts came with it as well. Some new, Some original. All off the car. No title, plus the dash was missing, vin was cut out & trim tag gone. Had Trans Am seats & interior pieces. Had enough good used parts & some new parts to make it worth the purchase. I pulled all the parts off of it & scrapped the shell. I decided to cut the back off of it & make some wall art. Now for my question. Car was red, but when I tore it apart I found blue under the package tray. I would like to paint my wall art the original color. But with no TT I cant be sure of the color. I saved a piece of the package tray & enclosed some pics. Prolly hard to tell from the pics, but do you guys think its Ascot or Mulsanne?? 20181228_220453.jpg 20181228_220653.jpg 20181228_220716.jpg 20181228_220653.jpg 20181228_220453.jpg

71RSLS likes this.
  2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not sure on the blue color, my guess would be Mulsane, but I'm digging the red..., the red fits well with the wall.

The whole thing is a neat idea for a great piece of art and looks great !

--

3. f-body freak

Thanks. There is alot of red on the wall that fits with it. I guess red could be an option too. I just wanna give it a fresh coat of paint & wire up the tailights so they can be plugged into an outlet & turned on when you want

4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Im agreement with the Mullsanne blue, however just bring it to the automotive paint shop and they will just scan it and make itnthe same color...

5. f-body freak

Ok Thanks. Didnt think about that.

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

That looks cool. What ever color you paint it will look great. If it were me I would put a short spoiler on it also. That would finish it off.

xten likes this.
  7. f-body freak

Please
    Yea thats a debate as well. Original plan was to paint it like it was when it was new. It came with no spoiler on the trunk. I cut up a rusty trunk lid I had & kept the original lid intact. So IDK, that short spoiler would look sharp tho. To many options.... :confused:

8. f-body freak

20200324_171449.jpg Finally after over a year or so I got my buddy started on my Wall art. Went with the Ascot Blue. Turned out great & my buddy & I are still friends, lol. He said it took quite a bit of work to get it ready for paint. Played around with spoilers but I didnt think they looked right with only half the trunk being there. Had an old wiring harness I spliced together with a 12volt/110 converter & got the tailights workin. :bowtie:

JRowe, WANNARUN, 71RSLS and 10 others like this.
  9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Looks great! I like that the side markers light up, too.
    Perhaps add a trunk lid emblem?

71RSLS and f-body freak like this.
  10. f-body freak

Yea it needs the trunk emblem I think. Son in law helped me wire it up. He thought I should light up all 4 tailights. I said then it looks like its braking. The 2 outer taillights & the side marker lights is what you would see if you were in a mustang...:bowtie:
    20200326_140000.jpg Put a switch to turn the lights on & off behind the license plate. Also cut off a gas tank neck & tacked it in there so it looks like it's ready for a fill up :)

71RSLS, xten and BillyDean7173 like this.