need help, motor mount question!

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Mathes79Z, May 19, 2005.

1. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

I dont belong to any chevelle sites, but i do know i can find the info i need here.
    I pulled a stock 350 out of one of my 79 camaros to put into my brothers 69 SS 396 chevelle (motorless and no mounts either)
    Thing is, the 79 uses the new 4 hole mounts and the chevelle used the old 3 hole ones, can i use the mounts from my camaro onto the chevelle, looks like two holes mount up on top, but the bottom third needs drilled... that is.. IF! that aligns the mounts properly width wise??
    I know somebody eles has done this. so.. Help?! [​IMG]

Thanks guys, and to answer the questions, yes, i plan on reinstating the camaro back on the road this summer, as soon as i get modified plates so its legal and finish plumbing fuel to that demon carb.

Thanks again.

------------------
    1979 Z/28 T-top, 355 flattop, Dart Iron eagle 200cc 2.02X1.6" valve 64cc chamber heads, Comp.XE268 cam, 1-5/8" long tube Holley Headers, Accel ignition, 8MM Moroso wires, Edelbrock performer RPM intake, Edelbrock performer RPM 750cfm carb, Accel perf. foam air cleaner, TH-400 trans with B&M 2100 stall converter and transgo shift kit, 3.42 rear, 255/60/15 tires all the way around on stock 79Z rims, Energy suspentions polyurethane bushings, stock Z/28 front and rear anti-sway bars with ES poly bushings, alum rear drums with perf. brakes, 99 Z/28 front buckets and full rear grey cloth seats installed on stock 79Z seat rails. black interior with black exterior.

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

The engine mounts in an old Chevelle and in your later model Camaro are completely different. Your Camaro has a "clamshell" all-metal piece on the engine side and a rubber "biscuit" that is surrounded by a metal shell on the other side.

The Chevelle uses a metal "box" on the frame with a weird looking engine-side mount that has the rubber part of the mount contained in it.

Obviously, you can't play mix-n-match. But I also wouldn't assume that just becuase a couple of bolt holes of the Camaro mount line up on the Chevelle's frame that it would orient the engine properly in the engine bay.

Engine mounts are available from many sources for your Chevelle, including all the restoration companies. If you want to be sure it's right I'd get a set built for the car. There are several different types depending on whether you're dropping in a small block or big block.

Nothing more frustrating that dropping a new motor in and finding out the mounts won't line up by 1/8".

3. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

I agree, but what im looking into is..

I am building this chevelle up for my brother who is currently active duty air force, i was hoping to have it completed by the time he returns home (even scored a TPI setup for on the 350). I know later down the road he will put a 396 back into it, but money and ability to find a good 396 is keeping him from doing so, so.. untill then i am loaning him my matching numbers 350 from my T-top 79 camaro (and the EFI setup, and auto tranny) (because the chevelle was orig. a 4-speed SS396)
    anywho, just tryin to cut the budget a bit cuz that wiring harness for the EFI and a complete harness to rewire the car (previous owner hack job) isnt cheap, plus paint, wheels, tires, brakes, shocks, bushings, interior, front windshield, and various sheet metal. so $150 here and there saved but not cheaped out on goes a long way.
    But i will look into the old style mounts and see if i can get some used ones from a chevelle site or so. that way its at least one step closer to stock.

4. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

Just ordered a set of used frame mounts from a place out in wiscounsuinu.ne.i..uhh... hmm the state Wi.

yea.. anywho brain freeze.
    they should be here by the first of the week, now, anybody here have some engine mounts for a bigblock/smallblock that fits the older style mounts?

5. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

That's the easy part. You should be able to get them just about anywhere. My local NAPA even still had some listings in stock.

Just CHECK to make sure the new engine-side mounts actually fit over the frame-side mounts BEFORE you try to drop the engine in. They come in different widths and you can't fit a narrow engine-side mount over a wide frame-sinde mount. Ask me how I know.

6. 1978LT

1978LT Veteran Member

You mean Wisconsin, the cheese state?

Good to see you on here again bro! How is that Demon carb working?

7. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

Dunno, went through 4 differant fuel rail/ fuel line configurations trying to get fuel from my regulator to the fuel bowls, summits tech SUCKS when it comes to fuel line questions. they sent me two diff. style holley fuel rails, nada, too short by about 3/8" and cant bend the hardned chromed line that much and make it work, also the gaskets for the inlets suck bigtime and break as soon as you try to tighten down the adapter to the fuel bowl. i just got sooo pssssed that i gave up and havent touched it since, i did get fuel to it by making my own steel lines directly from the duel outlet holley regulator but i was so frustrated that i have up tuning it half way though, got the float settings...eh, ballpark, they keep moving, i set them to full and take it up the road and suck the bowls dry, but move it up anymore and it floods, but then next time it may not, not sure whats doing that, need to check the fuel pressure next. then i noticed the tranny didnt shift right, it needs at least a quart of fluid from sitting and leaking around the pan gasket for so long. so since i didnt have any, no point in burning up my trans, so i gave up. havent worked on it since because ive been trying to get this chevelle ready for my bro's return home for a few weeks comming up at the end of the month, i'd like to have the motor in it and running so he can at least drive it around a bit.

as for the chevelle mounts, got them, pretty cruddy but hey, I HAVE MOUNTS!!
    now to get some cold cash from him and get the rubber part, some motor install odds and ends and drop it in this weekend, hopefully.
    oh, and yes, wisconsin, but after working all night and dragging bad because ive been up all day for the last few days playing Midnight Club 3 dub edition trying to score the 81 camaro, i was too lazy to spell. [​IMG]
    Awesome game though!, well, gotta run, need to make a few calls.

nice to be on here again, need to get back into it heavy.