need help with a Capacitor

Eaglefixer

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 25, 2002
Warner Robins, Ga
I have a Home Theater system Samsung HT-TX72 that keeps shutting off by itself. I opened it up and found this Capacitor blown. Would like to try and change it myself but need a little help. I need to know what type and where i can get one and what tools will i need to change it. Here is a link to the Capacitor. Its the brown one.
xniXb.jpg
zquka.jpg

Last edited:

cmonson

Veteran Member
Apr 7, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
Buy a 474J 100volt capacitor.

Clip the wire lead high on the existing so you just solder the wire together, and not the board.

Put a cloth down where you are soldering so your drippings don't burn the board.

CamaroMan79

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 10, 2001
Selah, WA
They might have a number imprinted on the underside but it will probably be very hard to see it.

I think you can just clip the connecitng wires up high and carefully re-solder in a new capacitor.

How much damage is done to that circuit board right there though?

CamaroMan79

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 10, 2001
Selah, WA
cmonson said:
Buy a 474J 100volt capacitor.

Clip the wire lead high on the existing so you just solder the wire together, and not the board.

Put a cloth down where you are soldering so your drippings don't burn the board.

oops didn't see this post.

Eaglefixer

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 25, 2002
Warner Robins, Ga
I don't see any damage at all to the board. I going to the local electronic store tomorrow and see if they have one. Any special tips for soldering?

cmonson

Veteran Member
Apr 7, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
If you don't have soldering experience I would watch some YouTube vids. Just make surebyou put a cloth down to catch any drippings.

As for pos/neg, it should not matter, but someone else will need to verify.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Eaglefixer said:
I don't see any damage at all to the board. I going to the local electronic store tomorrow and see if they have one. Any special tips for soldering?

Make sure you use rosin core solder, not acid core. Acid will eat the circuit board, and you can then throw it away.

Javelin3o4

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 21, 2004
Concord, CA
Eaglefixer said:
is there a right way and wrong way to installing this type. I see no marking as far as + or -

Some capacitors are non polarized so you just install them however. Generally specifically needs to be postive to postive one leg will be longer than the other or there will be some type of marking on the capacitor like a line on one side or a small - or + sign on it.