NEED HELP WITH TICKET

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by scottsdale_camaro_guy, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Pdawgie

Pdawgie Veteran Member

No lecture here but what you might want to look at is there are books out there on what to do to beat a ticket. Try Barnes & Noble or something like that. Don't know how well they work but worth a try.

2. scottsdale_camaro_guy

scottsdale_camaro_guy New Member

thanks Pdawgie good idea.

3. 73454

73454 Guest

If it was regular radar you have a chance of beating it since there was other traffic on the road. The officer CANNOT prove that the regular radar beam's return signal was bouncing off your vehicle. They have a wide spread on the radar beam that covers many degrees of roadway. If he got you on laser, you're dead meat because it's a pointed beam no more than 3 feet wide at 1,000 feet, and extremely accurate. You might ask the judge to reduce it if you don't have anything on your record. If you do have points already, you're SOL.

4. scottsdale_camaro_guy

ok, Thanks for the info 73454.

5. gpierce

gpierce Veteran Member

I got a similar ticket in Yavapai county. I don't live in AZ though so I'm not sure what the deal is, but I paid my bail from California and got 1 point on my record in CA.

In CA that defense about other cars on the road doesn't work. The officer will say he pointed it at your car and there were no obstructions between him and you. If I were going to sit in front of a judge I would probably still argue it, it is futile.

GP

6. scottsdale_camaro_guy

cool gpierce thanks for your input.

Ben

7. 73454

73454 Guest

Actually it does work, and I have used it in California and won. Regular radar cannot determine who is the strongest return, it only registers the strongest return. It could be that someone in another lane is driving a larger car than you. They are the stronger return. Ever drive in the "shadow" of a semi truck? I have. In Northern California where the speed signs for some sharp turns up by Shasta are. I was going 80+ and it registered the truck at 60 because it was bigger. This is why the "how to beat a ticket" books want you to ask if there are any train yards near the area. They are large and would usually be running faster than traffic. Up here in Washington state you can get away with tickets if you drive a Ford Aerostar van. They have pretty much discredited radar on these particular vans because of the shape of the van. Their "expert" witnesses explained that it could lock on to different locations of the van because of the sloped nose giving an inaccurate reading. I was surprised to hear the judge actually say this last time I went to traffic court.

8. larry spillman

larry spillman Veteran Member

tell the judge you wil join the navy if he lets you off or see if they have a traffic school that can save your license

9. scottsdale_camaro_guy

Intresting idea but wouldnt i have to join the navy then?

10. Mitch'80Z

Mitch'80Z Veteran Member

If the officer was trained well and the judge isn't a cook, you have an uphill battle trying to win in court. I haven't lost a single traffic case in 9 years, but then again I also won't write "borderline" tickets. I make sure the violator hangs himself before I put in on paper. At that speed you simply have no excuse that any court I've ever testified in would want to hear.

No lecture here, but please slow down.

Officers who use RADAR in Ohio are well trained in it's abilities and limitations. I don't know what AZ's requirements are, though. RADAR does not work simply by reading the closest target's speed. It measures the strongest signal/signature. If a semi-trailer is behind a small car, the RADAR will read the signature of the larger truck, regardless of the car's speed or location. This is why officers are trained in visually estimating vehicle speed. That is how we know what car's to gun and which ones to let pass. If there is a large truck (or other interruption in the signature) in the beam area, a well-trained officer will let it pass. Of course, we also have LASER and that is a whole other story.

------------------
    355 cid; World S/R Torquer heads; 9.3:1 Flattop hyper's; Comp XE262H; Weiand A+ intake; SMI custom Q-Jet; B.W. ST-10 4sp; Centerforce D/F clutch; Hurst Comp. Plus shifter; 3.08 posi; Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust w/ Jet Hot coated Hooker Comp's.