NEED HELP WITH TICKET

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by scottsdale_camaro_guy, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

I've got myself a ticket too- first week driving my camaro, of course.

Mind you- I only got dinged for 17 over the limit..

I'm 19- and I work 6 days a week and more than 9 hours a day to pay for my own college automotive education and my own insurance, and my own gas bill.

I know I'm not alone when I say I dislike the assumption that a teenager cannot foot his own bill.

(mind you- I'm not saying I shouldn't be speeding. Far from it. Speeding is bad, I know it.. it's just too much fun!)

[This message has been edited by Skaal-tel 79 (edited July 11, 2004).]

2. 72_454

72_454 Veteran Member

Well, at least you admitted that you did what you were cited for. You cant apply for traffic school because it's a criminal cite and you have to go to court, I'm pretty sure you can't just pay the fine. The only suggestion I can offer in this case is explain to the judge what was going on. You have to go to an initial court appearance where you will plead innocent or guilty. If you plead guilty the fine is imposed. I'm not really sure (depends upon the judge and the court) if the judge will entertain explanations at that time. He may just impose sentence and have done with it. If you have a judge that will listen to explanations he might be able to do something for you. Another way to handle it is to get in touch with the prosecuting attorney. He may be able to work something out with you prior to court and arrange a plea deal. The only other option is plead innocent and have a court date set. You will then have a date to go before the judge and explain why you believe you weren't breaking the law. Criminal court is different than Civil court. A civil ticket just charges you with responsibility of breaking a civil statute. A speeding ticket generally isn't criminal and the state only has to show a proponderance of evidence. It goes something like this ( "were you speeding?" "yes" "I find you responsible, pay the fine". In a criminal case, culpable mental states come into play. Why were you speeding, did you mean to speed, did you have a really good reason to speed? In a criminal case the state has to show more than a reasonable doubt and has to show that you recklessly, willingly and or knowingly commit the crime of which you are charged. If you know a lawyer they may be able to give you some tips. As far as trying to beat the ticket with trickery, yeah, it might work some of the time with a judge that is a moron but I wouldn't count on it. I'm asked a lot by people how to get out of a ticket. I just tell em "don't break the law". Simple, huh?

3. Mitch'80Z

Mitch'80Z Veteran Member

I was responding to your initail comment about RADAR not being able to determine which target gives the strongest signal.

The RADAR gun does not tell you what target it is reading. Training, visual estimation of speed, and a solid understanding of the equipemnt tells the officer what he needs to know. The RADAR gun merely confirms what the officer suspects. This is why training includes in-car speed estimation exercises. It is very defensible in court. Of course, nothing's %100 and some people win RADAR cases.

I wasn't trying to be smart, just passing along my experience.

------------------
    355 cid; World S/R Torquer heads; 9.3:1 Flattop hyper's; Comp XE262H; Weiand A+ intake; SMI custom Q-Jet; B.W. ST-10 4sp; Centerforce D/F clutch; Hurst Comp. Plus shifter; 3.08 posi; Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust w/ Jet Hot coated Hooker Comp's.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

After reading 72_454's post, I would have to say that 72_454 has a point about the nature of your ticket being criminal vs a simple traffic ticket. My advice about checking into the driving class was based on my experience with a faster than usual speeding ticket (that was reduced by the officer to 1 mph under reckless driving, thankfully).

------------------
    John Wright

5. riptyde

riptyde Member

I have got a reckless driving ticket here in Cali. for street racing. The ticket was a criminal ticket. I had to go to actual court, not traffic court. If I plead guilty a misdermeanor would have been added to my criminal record, 2 points to my driver's license and a $400 fine. I wanted to try to beat it because the cop didn't actually see me do it, he heard me. I had to get a lawyer and I went to pre-trial. Here they gave me another chance to pleed no contest, but this time they reduced the charge to an infraction, paid $2xx which included the public defender, and I think only one point was put on my drivers license. It seemed like if you take it to pre-trial, they will reduce the charge to try not to go to court. Worked for me in Cali. Might work for you.

Bryan

6. dakdawn

dakdawn Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The court will ask if you wish to have representation appointed to you! Take it!! Good luck!

------------------
    Lanette, Gilbert AZ
    The Surgeon General states: "IT IS OK TO SMOKE YOUR COMPETITION!!!!"

Pic's to my 1970 Camaro SS!
    My Mechanic
    in Mesa AZ -- Great Auto Shop!

7. azbones

azbones Member

The ARS code you wrote in your post is wrong. Its is probably ARS 28-701.02A3. I'm pretty sure you will not go to jail however you will get fined. What DPS Officer wrote the ticket?

8. scottsdale_camaro_guy

scottsdale_camaro_guy New Member

Sry the numbers in the violation section are hard to read.

The Ticket was written by officer B. Trimble | id# 5937 |district 100 | area 600
    the name is also kinda hard to read i tink thats it.

Thanks,
    Ben

9. scottsdale_camaro_guy

scottsdale_camaro_guy New Member

any last advice? court is in 11h 20min (9am)

Thanks for all the replys,
    Ben

10. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Bring your wallet, someone to drive you home, and some lube of your preference....cuz I do believe that they're gonna stick it to ya....might even try to break it off....so be ready. Just post the results when you get back (they won't put you in jail) [​IMG]