need ideas...jobs that pay

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cody, Jan 11, 2008.

1. cody

cody Veteran Member

like title says, anyone have any suggestions. im talking about jobs that are gonna require 4-7 years of school, something that really brings in good $$...im trying to figure out what direction i wanna take for the next 5-10 years, and law enforcement isnt it for me long term.

right now im a correctional officer, and the hours suck and im tired of dealing with diseases and scumbags all night

ive thought about pharmacist type jobs, or some sort of business degree maybe? just looking for any input/ideas....;)

2. BlueCamaro

BlueCamaro Veteran Member

Do you have any degrees now?

If you plan on going to school for those 4-7 years, then I would highly recommend computers/computer technology/IT etc., and with Microsoft certification you can easily make six figures.

Or if you want to go automotive, Diesel mechanics make around $100 an hour. Then again, mechanics in general get paid pretty good.

3. BLWN327

BLWN327 Member

My buddy is doing an apprenticeship for a linesman that cuts wires and stuff off of trees and poles(journeyman is $30+ and hour).I did a 4yr carpenter apprenticeship(journeyman$30+ an hour)all comercial in concrete and interiors.If you stick to comercial carpentry there is more money to make but its harder on the body depending what you do.Both jobs you can travel as you want also.Stay Union!

4. Camaro_Bunny

Camaro_Bunny Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well if you're willing to do school for 4-7 years my vote would be for an engineering degree. Either mechanical or electrical - it doesn't matter which. They both bring in the dough!

Of course you have to be a math whiz so there is a down side. :)

5. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

also a Science and Physic whiz.

i should know. I keep telling myself 1 and a half year to go and i get that piece of paper!

6. 79camaro2001

Also be ready to handle the responsibility if anything breaks and they come after you to sue cause it injured or killed someone.

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

HVAC can be good if you get into a company that is willing to pay BUT depending (on the area: the north--run the roads at night for heat outages, south--run the roads for AC outages) you can spend your life in a van.

8. 79camaro2001

spoken like a true HVAC technician. I got a buddy getting his EPA license. He takes the test tomorrow, should be fine as he worked for his father doing all of the HVAC stuff in town.

9. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That is so not true. Average income for an engineer is probably 50-60k

10. Lammy

Lammy Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lawyer. With your background you could do criminal justice. Last I knew patent lawyers with engineering degrees were making big money.