need ideas...jobs that pay

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cody, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There's an add running on the local radio inviting people to show up at a seminar next weekend for a mining co. looking to hire a bunch of people, many trades. Power Engineers, millwrights, electritions, welders, mechanics, ect. I would think that min. wage is into $35/hour. General labour here is ~$25/hour.

2. SCURRY

SCURRY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you should try out the Federal Prison. Go to school and move into another area of Corrections. If your willing to move, the sky is the limit. Just "Doing eight and hitting the gate" as a Corrections Officer after 7 years you would be a GL 07 step 6, at around $23 hr base salary. With only 13 years to retirement. You Can go anywhere from there.

3. Bill_K

Bill_K New Member

I have not seen one person tell you to work in a field you enjoy. Yes the money is important, but being happy and challenged with your work is something thats important too. I worked as a mechanical engineer for 25 years until my company mostly closed after 911. I was already in my fifties and was considered unemployable here in NJ as an engineer. All the work I did previously was sent to India where it was performed at a fraction of the cost I was paid. If you pursue engineering be prepared for many job changes as the economy weakens, layoffs are very common at those times. Many engineers work for job shops and go where the work is. You will have to provide your own benefits, jobbers do not.
    I have worked as a high school teacher for the last 7 years. I teach drafting and architectural drawing on the computer. I do not make the same money I did as an engineer, but everyday that I go to school I share "realworld" experiences with my students. For the first time in decades I am truly happy with my job. Best of all I do not constantly worry about be laid off as the economy sputters. Money is not everything to me.
    I have to ask you what you consider big money? This is a very relative term. Here in NJ anything under 100K is pocket change to some people. One of my friend earns $3 million per year in the financial field. At 35 yo he kills himself working and traveling to NY everyday. He never sees his wife and kids but sure does earn "big bucks". I personally would never trade lives with him.
    As a teacher,and seeing the attitudes of todays kids, everyone thinks if they go to college it guarantees you a good job and that this equals good money. I personally would learn a skill that people do not want to work in. My vote would be to learn plumbing. Do only new installations, change washers, faucets etc. and you could work 7 days a week if you wanted. This would keep you in a mechanical field and you will earn "big bucks"! This is just my humble opinion, if I had life to live over again I am now 60 and looking at retirement in 2 years.
    Bill

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Anything in the medical field ...there is always sick or injured people who need care. But you have to pay your dues and work some crazy messed up shifts for a while.

5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cody - forget about the money - you need a job you will enjoy for the next 25-30 years. I have friends who are Pharmacists and they make $100K+ but hate their job (they just stand back in the pharmacy 50 hours a week).

My friends who are engineers also are questioning their profession as enjoyable.

Most people in your position look for the highest paying job and shoot for it - find a job you enjoy and make it happen. Look for job satisfaction polls.

Ya gotta have dough to enjoy life, but there is a point where you work so much or hate your job so much that the money can just become a trap.

^Bill beat me to it - think about it.

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very true.

7. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Pharmaceuticals is a good profession,,,, The legal ones are even respected members of the community.

The other, will reunite your with your old wards at the Lockup.

8. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    A couple people touched on doing something you enjoy.

I agree!!

Money is important to consider but holds no value to one who is miserable.

9. Ztoy

Ztoy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Health care industry

10. cody

cody Veteran Member

thanks for the ideas so far. ive been thinking a lot about radiology or pharmacuticals (sp?)..im just about certain i want to get out of the law enforcement field all together, and hopefully get into something with more m-f 9-5 type hours