Need information about Holley Intake

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Vicious, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Vicious

Vicious New Member

I have a Holley Street Dominator intake that I'm trying to learn more about.

I read on a post from 2004 that there are at least 3 variants that carry the Street Dominator name. One is great, one is OK, and one is junk. The pictures from this thread are no longer available, so I can't tell which is which.

It's some what similar to the intake in the picture (I initially thought they were the same) but I don't believe mine is a spread bore. (see pictures of the actual intake further below). Also the one in this picture doesn't have a freeze plug in the front.

Any info you could provide would be appreciated (model number).

It's currently sitting on my solid lifter '73 Z, with an Edelbrock 1813 Thunder Series (I believe it is 800 cfm). Luckily, the car has a 4spd, because if I don't goose the throttle and give it a lot of gas off of idle, it wants to bog down. Other than that, it seems to perform pretty well.

Holley Street Dominator.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

That intake is kind of weak on a smaller SBC, but on a 350 or larger it should work pretty good. The 800 thunder carburetor is a really good, I went 12.02 a couple of years ago on my peanut port engine when I got to test my buddies out for him and that was with no tuning other than setting the secondary door a little. If you could get those runner dividers extended into the plenum area I bet that would really help.

3. Vicious

Vicious New Member

Do you know the model number?

4. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I remember those intakes from many years ago and the advertisement was Idle to 4800 RPM.
    I got one for 20 bucks and it was for an oldsmobile 350" and I tried it vs the Qjet iron intake.
    Very little gain but there was a gain. It was at the upper end of the rpm range.
    I later would remove it and port the plenum on the Qjet intake and trumped that lighter intake everywhere.

Old folks liked single planes and hood clearance. So they turned out some odd junk.
    That is my theory.
    Would I run one today.
    NO WAY.
    Would I run the old flat floor Edelbrock performer intake?
    NO WAY. I hate that one also.
    Some people like it though.

There are a few intakes I tried and they just failed miserably and not worth even trying to sell.. most I give away if I end up with them.

That is my Take on 2 intakes.
    I suppose if you do not have another intake and no money and you have that one then it will work.

5. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's a spread bore intake, and your carb if I'm not mistaken is a square bore, so unless you have some kind of adapter plate, that's not the same intake you have.

6. Vicious

Vicious New Member

I hadn't noticed that. I went back and recompared the two, and mine is flat in the front where the carb mates to the intake. Now I'm really confused.

Carb front.JPG

7. Vicious

Vicious New Member

Here's a few more pics of the actual intake

Intake 1.JPG
    Intake 2.JPG
    Intake 4.JPG Intake 3.JPG

8. Vicious

Vicious New Member

Ok, at this point I'M relatively certain that it's a 701R-1/300-1, AND it is a spread bore. I've also read that Edelbrock carbs are wide enough to seal the manifold without the need for an adapter. The car has a vacuum gage, and I have good vacuum pressure, so it must be sealing properly.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact intake I have.

701R-1 300-1.jpg

9. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That is a 700r-1 300-1. They are good from 0-4800 rpm. Save your money and get a Holley 300-36. I use one and I love it.

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Holley discontinued the 300-36 several years ago. You can still find them here and there. They had an advertised power range of off-idle to 7200 RPM. For that reason, they were probably one of the most versatile intake manifolds ever made. I have one too and wouldn't trade it for any other SBC intake.