Need new battery for DD opinions?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Dec 11, 2019.

1. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I think that if batteries are not lasting very long in a vehicle, an upgraded, more powerful alternator should be considered. That is, if one is available. Every discharge/charge cycle takes some lifespan from the battery. In my experience automakers cut the margins too close as far as generator capacity.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

A battery should last longer than a few years. 5 years is about how long I keep vehicles and have only changed 1 battery and that was in Vegas. I was told the extreme heat kills batteries. Bought a AGM for it and it lasted the 3 years up to when I traded the truck in. I think the Optimas have a 3 year warranty so it should atleast last that long

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

With all of my connections, I could not find a better deal on a battery than Interstate thru Costco.

Don't waste your money on an Optima unless you are going with a Deep Cycle Yellow Top

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Johnson Controls, East Penn and Exide are the 3 manufacturers that make most of the wet cell automotive batteries you can buy from a retailer....regardless of the "brand". That said, they are like most products. Nobody makes a perfect one.

I buy all mine from Advance Auto. Why? #1) Convenience. There's an Advance Auto just about everywhere you go. #2) Online discount codes make their prices pretty tough to beat. #3) If you DO have a warranty claim, they don't seem to hassle you much.

80sz, carr911 and Shizzle like this.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I get my batteries from Advance because I get contract pricing at my shop. The same battery that would cost Joe Average $90, I can get for $65.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  6. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

I wondered when someone was going to mention this.

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

I have heard good things about the AGM that batteries & bulbs stores are carrying. I am going to try one the next time I need one.

8. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

I use NAPA Legands in all my cars never had a single issue and seam to get around 5 to 6 years out of them. I also like that they are all black ( looks way better in the show cars). Will never use an Interstate ever again had one blow up in my face about 12 years ago when i was hooking up a jumper box ( was dam lucky I didn’t get blinded from the acid).

9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Sorry for the delay,wifeys blazer had a rear pad stick in the hanger on the way home yesterday [darn Midwest salt] led to complete rear brake job,calipers/rotors hangers pads,did the fronts too so I was busy in the dark,then up at 2 A.M.!!
    How does AAA sell batteries? I was always happy with the exide nascar select menards sold,the HD exide ones were their cheap line,The manager at advance,o-reillys [and I know him] wouldn't budge on anything with the batteries [our margins are too tight RIGGGGHT] Don't know anyone with Costco,may just get a farm and fleet one, every interstate I had did not live up to the price IMHO, want to spend about $100 NOT $160!! LOL-I may stop by the old guy napa and talk to them also--Thanks for the replies!!! Steve!!

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I buy the Interstate blems, cost me $39 and last longer than any of the ones I ever buy at wallmart. Down side is the warranty is only 90 day.