Need new battery for DD opinions?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Dec 11, 2019.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Back when I worked for Napa I bought a aged out (on the shelf for more than a year) battery, I needed one for my camaro and then it got popped into my ‘95 truck, and then into my ‘05 truck. As it stands that battery is 13 years old.
    It’s at the end....won’t start after it sits more than a few days to a week.

Previous to that I had a 12 year old interstate in my 92 ford pickup - that one went strong all the way until the unforwarned “click” of doom and no starty.

My alero which aside from being moved a couple times has been sitting for the better part of a year until tonight when I loaded on the trailer is rocking a 6 year old superstart from oreillys. Popped right off. Even though it’s been stupid cold for weeks and haven’t touched it since I think September.

Maybe I just have stupid super human luck with batteries? Johnson controls or east penn get my vote. In a little biased as I sell east penn but have also had stupidly long lasting east penn batts so take that for what it’s worth. I would avoid exide I used to warranty those out all the time. I think the wty rate dropped something crazy like 70% when Napa dropped exide and picked up east penn.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

I tend to drive short distances. I get 4 years from a battery. I think it must be how we use them, or not. ;)

3. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

I do too. I put an Optima yellow-top (painted to look like a red-top) in my 1999 GTP FOURTEEN YEARS AGO and it just died. Wouldn't take a charge anymore. Put a red-top in it to replace it a keep it on a maintainer as the GTP is not my DD anymore. The '05 GT2 gets the daily duty now and the GTP just comes out for fun.

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

The original equipment ACDelco batteries in the GM vehicles that I've owned over the last 25 years have lasted from 7 - 10 years from when the factory originally put them in. I have a tendency to keep my vehicles a long time. The ACDelco in my current 2014 Cadillac ATS is at 6.5 years old and doing just fine, and plenty of electronic gadgetry on it.

Why would I buy anything else but another ACDelco to replace the OE?

5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

You won't...until you get a bad one. Brother's 2013 Silverado needed a new battery after just 2 years.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I have to correct my earlier post where I said in the "last 25 years). I forgot about the 1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans I bought new (40 years ago) - that battery lasted 9+ years and 180,000 miles before I replaced it.

But I get your point. Stuff does happen with any brand of battery. It's just that with some brands it happens more often.

FWIW - in 2010 I put a new ACD in my wife's Camaro. I pulled the battery out of my wife's Camaro in 2018 and put it in my '81 C10 (the used ACD that I put in it in years ago finally crapped out) and it's still cranking that V8 just fine.

7. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Interstate has a store not far from me that sells blend for $50.

8. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

my dad has a ‘13 as well, his does the same, it’s due for another.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can usually buy blemished batteries from shops that sell batteries. When GM in Oshawa had a battery plant, each yr they would sell off their blemished batteries for $20. I had a big and a small battery that lasted 10 yrs.

10. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

02 sensors, no doubt. ;)