Need Shocks

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by KMcHale, Feb 11, 2010.

1. KMcHale

KMcHale Member

Got an 81Z needs shocks (please people with air shocks need not respond) front and back please let me know. Engine guys do not remind me that I have a 305. Or I will drive my Aerostar right thru your house but I will spare you car.

Signed,

A man with a car with the slowest motor on the planet!

2. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

try autozone or pepboys they are cheap and new.

3. laninme

laninme Member

Are you looking for "general" shock absorbers or are you looking for more of a higher end type like Koni's or Bilstein's, etc.

4. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

If you're looking for "daily driver" type of shocks, Edelbrocks and Monroes are good and also priced accordingly.

If you're looking to eventually upgrade the suspension then go with a better quality shock like Bilstein, Koni, or one of the external adjustables like the VariShock. You'll pay more but will have what you need when that upgrade time comes.

And don't worry about that 305 as I'd rather drive something that can get around a corner instead of one that can only haul butt in a straight line. Think of yours as being a "maintenance speed" type of car if you ever autocross it.

Of course, this comes from someone that owns something with not much horsepower ... LOL.

Mary Pozzi

5. KMcHale

KMcHale Member

At the risk of sounding stupid I am trying to keep the car stock. Do I just get something that is compatible with what it came with or is there reproduction shocks for this car?

6. 80ZED28 EH

80ZED28 EH Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

KYB's? Gas adjusts.

7. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

We had a fairly recent thread about this, but I cannot find it. However, I'm pretty sure the consensus was the Bilsteins are the way to go.
    I personally first tried KYBs (bought from NPD) on my near stock '79 and they were terrible; many others agreed that KYBs work poorly on a Camaro. I switched to Monroe "Sensormatics" and have been very pleased with them, and one or two others agreed with that.
    So, IMHO (with admittedly limited experience) I would suggest the Monroe on a budget and Bilstein if you want the best. Avoid KYB.

8. B.M.

B.M. Veteran Member

I just bought a set of gabriel stock style type rear shocks from a company on ebay for $32 for the set including shipping.The item # is 220316287134 i think they sell the fronts to but not positive.

9. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Never buy KYB's they are some of the biggest pieces of fu*ken Sh*t you can put on a car shock wise.

Mike

10. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

You're definitely not sounding stupid at all!! A good shock upgrade will help your car's handling and my thoughts are what most of everyone else here has suggested. Either Edelbrock IAS or Monroe if you're on a budget and Bilsteins or Koni if you've got a bit more coin to spend.

You might take a tour of the Suspension part of this forum as there's tons of information there.

Cheers,
    Mary Pozzi