Need some advice

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Shizzle, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

When you pay techs near-minimum wage, stuff like this happens.

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

They change tires, can they even be called techs?

Dave Nelson and 1980RS like this.
  3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

"NO" Tire monkey's is what we used to call them. A tech is someone who has to diagnose and fix something.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  4. BARNFIND

BARNFIND Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I once had a tire "tech" try to explain to me that a out of round tire would wear into roundness ( you could see it on the tire machine and measure it in the tread depth). This was before the tires were bolted to the truck. I told him he could either put a round tire on the rim or take them all off and remount the old tires so I could go somewhere else.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I listened to a guy tell a customer the reason his car still pulled is because the new tires needed to wear into the alignment. He was the same guy that refused to remove the old tire weights because "it obviously needed them before" and couldn't understand why he couldn't pound the PS pulley on with a hammer.

I didn't last long at that shop.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I had a local shop swap the tires on my Forgelines that are also PC on the inside...knowing how expensive they are I specifically asked/requested for sticky weights.

7. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Well DT told me they will not do anything. They “have” to clean the backside of a rim, doesn’t matter if it is corroded or not, I was told all rims corrode and they can’t control the weather. I said so admit to intentionally ruining 3 $300 rims.

Here’s the thing, I get that it’s your “policy” to clean the mounting surface. I’m sure the muppet didn’t put any thought into hey since there isn’t any corrosion do I still have to do this.

My rims are 3 yrs old, I put it up in jack stands every spring, pressure wash, use rust converter on any frame rust, & spray bomb the from black. My rotor hats are gloss black and can see thru the rim spokes they’re not rusty.

I have to get ahold of corporate somehow as they are closed because of the rona. I have to say DT lost a customer with this. I’ll gladly pay a little extra for competence.

luckily for him I’m in a transitional phase of my life, a year ago I would’ve decked the condescending little prick.

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't see how this is relevant to them using incorrect wheel weights and damaging the wheel.

Check your DM's

9. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

True story (but les schwab)
    Had a 2001 camaro SS with every SLP option I ordered brand new. Weekend driver, never in the rain, etc. Eventually needed tires on the chromed aluminum 10 spoke SS wheels. Having a brain fart (I usually just put the car up on jacks and transport the wheels) I drove to the shop and parked around the side. I placed a note in the drivers seat about not parking my car in a regular customer parking space as I didn’t want any door Dings. Also Explained the right way to lift the car to not damage the fenders.
    Went inside and explained it all again to the sales manager. Told him notes on the seat too as a reminder. Leave.

1 hr later he calls. Said they backed into the door with their service truck. Thought he was joking and laughed. He wasn’t. Asked if he still wanted the tires put on. I said “well, there’s nothing more you can damage“ (I WAS WRONG).

go to pick it up. Notice both fenders pushed out from the bottom of the door. Both fender mounts bent by jacking it incorrectly. Look underneath and both down pipes are dented on the bottom too. I am doing everything not to lose my mind!

get the Service manager over to show him the additional damage, says “it was like that When you brought it in”. Show him note in front seat again. Crawl underneath and paint has flaked off where the mount was bent over showing shiny, virgin metal. He goes “Oh”...

He writes all the damage info and signs the repair order then add their insurance number (they are self insured). I walk away just shaking my head.

Their claims Dept calls me a few days later and wants to offer a cash settlement (without even seeing the damage) of $500. I laugh and tell them a replacement door from GM Alone cost more than that. Then they said we only work with certain body shops so you’ll need to take it to one of those on our list. I politely tell them I’ll take it to whom I want and give me their contact info so I can have my company send you a bill for the actual costs. Never again will I let some minimum wage tire monkey ever touch A car of mine again!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    gramps likes this.
  10. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Few year back I had new tires put on my truck. Went to pick it up and I see that 2 of the center caps aren’t on it. So I turned right around and went back inside and said to the manager, missing 2 center caps. He yells out in the shop, answer is they are in the bed of the truck. I looked the guy and said they ****ed up the plastic caps with a impact gun didn’t he. He says he doesn’t know. I said then why would he have put the caps in the back of the truck and not back on the damn wheels. Don’t bs me.
    sure As poo EVERY single cap was busted. And most of the ones on the other side too! They replaced all 24.