Need some thoughts. Mopar related.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by gramps, Jul 26, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Next time just go buy a Hellcat. :crazy:

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

If you have a Mopar distributor, and maybe ignition system, you need to put a ballast resistor in the circuit. The electronic ignition systems need 6 volts to the coil and 12 volts to the brain box. You can tell an old Mopar mechanic by the extra ballast resistor wrapped in a towel in their tool box.

3. Trashman

Trashman New Member

Are you sure the cam is in correctly? May sound stupid but i did it, I lined the wrong mark up. Could not get it to run right to save my life and it was that. If you havent, check your cam card and itll say how many degrees till the intank opens after tdc. Youll need timing tape and just set it to TDC and turn the engine to the specified degree mark and if the intank opens before or after that mark you do have the cam in advanced or retarded. Worth a look.
    Edit: Glad you found the problem.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Gramps, here is something I found about Mopars years ago when I used to race a few. Mopar engines do not like a lot of base timing like GM one do. I think it has something to do with the heads. I had both a 383 and a 340 engine and they both performed the best with no more than 9° base timing and the rest in the dizzy. I spent over a month on playing around then I talked with some of the Mopar gurus here back then and I tried this out. After all was said and done my Challanger ran 12.90's with a little cam and to prove the low base timing worked I set the timing at 14° and the car slowed to 13.30 changed it back and ran in the 12's again. The good thing about mopar dizzy is that it is almost like an aftermarket model as all you have to do is put a screw in different hole to change the total timing.

Best ign. trigger I ever used was the mag one that mopar makes and the gold box. Mine pulled to 7K with no problem.

5. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Congratulations on finding the issue. No that you're getting full power does it still like that much initial timing? That seems like a lot.