need steering column help

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Mike Bozung, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Mike Bozung

Mike Bozung Veteran Member

I could use some help on this one guys. I have a 1979, with a straight "plain jane" steering coulumn. I would like to add one with Tilt, cruise & headlight dimmer on it. Mine is a console shift. Can anyone tell me which cars might have a "doner" that would fit ? I really doubt if I'll find a Camaro in the junk yard, but there are Caprice, Malibu, ETC. Any help guys ?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

No 2nd gen Camaro had a column with cruise and a dimmer switch on it, cruise yes, dimmer, no. AFAIK, only 2nd gen Camaro / Firebird columns will bolt right in, but the later Firebirds had a combination cruise /wiper / dimmer stalk that will require some inventive re-wiring to match.

John

3. Mike Bozung

Mike Bozung Veteran Member

John, Thanks for the help. But what I'm really looking for is a doner car of some sort, that the tilt, cruise Etc will fit right in. So what I really need is WHAT car should I look for in the junk yard ?
    Thanks,
    Mike

4. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

Im not sure but I seem to remember this being asked in a similar thread. Technically, there are no direct fits with what you are looking for. However, I remember reading on the similar thread in here the Caprice and Monte Carlo body styles have that switch set up. The issues you run into are; the way the end of the column matches up to the steering gear box, in 79/80 ish GM changed it, the distance from the floorboard to the steering wheel may be different meaning that the steering wheel would be closer to the seat or the dash than the original design on of the Camaro, the mounting ears that bolt underneath to the dash may also be in a differnt spot and you would possibly need to do some fabrication there. The wiring for the dimmer switch would need to be addressed but should be manageable if you can handle the other stuff.

I may be a bit off on some of this and others may be able to elaborate more and provide more details.

5. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

when you get your donor.. cut the wiring (after labelling) on the harness side of the connectors...
    then splice accordingly using the newer factory connectors.
    you are gonna have a whole grundle more wiring and the modern flat connectors (2 of them) are much easier to deal with...