Need Throttle Cable Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by slayer021175666, May 27, 2017.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

I have an Edelbrock 1405 Carb and an Edelbrock Performer RPM Manifold. I have always used the stock throttle cable and it was never a really good fit. Last night, I broke it. Stomped on the gas and "Oh, poo! What do we do now?" I grabbed my subwoofer cable and tied it to the throttle at the carb, ran it through the window and limped home using my left hand to operate the throttle! I have a motor bike cable repair kit so I'm gonna use it for a quick repair but, I need a better option soon. All the cables I see are too long and I don't see how they mount up. Anybody running my same combo and have a nice way to get it linked to your foot?
    Thanks

2. slayer021175666

Anyone?

3. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is the hole where the cable goes into the firewall of the round or square variety? The round ones secure to the firewall with a single bolt, and the "square" ones have a round rubber grommet with a square push lock. What cable bracket are you using at the carb?

4. slayer021175666

It's the square type. I never had a bracket for the throttle. Just a little one for the detent. When I put in the engine, I soon realized the throttle cable was too short. I popped the square lock you mentioned out of the firewall and that made it where I could get enough length to get it to the carb. It was supposed to be a temporary monkey rig but, I wound up using it for 2 years. It never did quite open the butterflies all the way but it was so close I kind of forgot about it.
    Thanks, Brother.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Get one from Lokar They are adjustable and have vatiety of brackets

Attached Files:

6. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

I send the notion for Lokar throttle cable. They make high quality products. Install carefully making sure cable is not stressed at full throttle and carb gets wide open.

7. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

When my cable frated too much I ot one at the Chevy Dealer I posted the paumber on here years ago

8. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you post a pic of what you've got? I've got a list of the different GM cable lengths we could probably get it did with off the shelf parts fairly reasonable. I just went through this with my first gen, so a lot of this is still fresh in my mind.

I'll agree with the lokar cable idea, but if you go that route spend the coin for a genuine lokar. When I bought my car it had a China depot copy on it, and I was junk!