Need to find a good mechanic near Rialto, CA

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by captaincog, Jun 30, 2012.

1. captaincog

captaincog New Member

I have a 71 RS/SS 350 that has, at least I hope it is only that, a failing oil pump where the pressure goes down as RPMs go up. I tore a ligament in my forearm so I cannot get to working on it, plus I really would like to get some one with good tech experience to take a look. So, anyone know someone out there? Please let me know since I really just do not trust anyone except myself. The engine is a 4 bolt main small block built by Performance by Paul before he moved from Riverside, CA to New York. My daughter suggested I post here to find someone that can be trusted.
    Thanks in advance.........:bowtie:

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

go to the UTI campus in rancho cucamonga and they will do it for you

3. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Questions:

1) Is the motor a "fresh" rebuild or a motor with tens of thousands of miles on it? If fresh, then there are more problems than just an oil pump (I think in that case, it isn't the oil pump but oil flow/oil return issues). IF, however, it is a motor with tens of thousands of miles on it, then most likely the oil return holes in the heads and/or in the lifter valley are blocked which will prevent the oil from returning to the pan = loss of oil pressure due to no oil in the pan.

2) What is the oil pump? High volume? What oil pan is on the motor? Stock five quart? What cam? solid lifter or hydraulic? If solid lifter, were oil flow restrictors installed in the cam gallery oil passages? What other oil control devices were installed: crank scraper, windage tray, open up all oil return passages? IF your motor is a "warmed over" street motor, REMPLACE IT WITH A STOCK OIL PUMP! Oiling has NEVER been a problem with a SBC! EVER! All the oiling problems are created by us, the people who mess with our motors.

3) Where was the height of the oil pump pickup set? I has to be set between 3/8" and 1/2" off of the bottom of the pan. No more, no less. If too low, the pump will cavitate. If to high, it will be out of the oil available in the sump of the pan.

4. captaincog

captaincog New Member

Fairly fresh rebuild with maybe 2000 miles on it. I did not build it but it is a high volume pump with a stock oil pan, pick-up, no windage tray, solid lifter motor and I do not know about any oil flow restrictors. I am looking for some help from someone who can get it done right. Sorry I forgot to provide that info earlier.

5. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Get rid of the high volume pump!!!

2nd, if you insist on a high volume, then ditch the stock pan for a 7qt pan.

I never understand why people have to have a high volume. There is one thing gm did right which happens to be the oiling system on a sbc.

6. captaincog

captaincog New Member

Yeah, I have since learned that the high volume pump is not the way to go. I just need to find some help to set it straight.