need to identify rear end

matthamilton

Jun 17, 2012
San Francisco, CA
hey guys I want to find out the gears and everything I can about my rear end. now on the passengers side in the front I found the code C 0506Cl on the axel. now on the back side of the car near the cover I found numbers
exactly like this but upside down.
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 0
above that it says c n I
or inc. but also upside down.
the final thing I found was G M 6 7
now idk what any of this means.
I just want to rebuild my rear end into a posi. I really am stuck.
and I have a 70 Camaro base model made in L.A. if that helps.

matthamilton

Jun 17, 2012
San Francisco, CA
FatnLow said:
10/4 Now you can start the quest for posi.
sorry one last question. I want to know what the kit would be called? a rebuild kit, service kit?? I mean I don't want to order the wrong thing and yukons website isn't working for me and Toms differentials also doesn't show up. so I am kind of stuck. if someone is free can they maybe post a link to find these kits for converting the stock rear to a posi.
10 bolt
COC 2.73:1 (for gears)

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
A 70 COC coded rear end will be the older 8.2" rear end. You might find it cheaper to get a used 71-81 8.5" posi rear end than trying to put posi in yours. The later 8.5" will also be stronger than your current 8.2".

FatnLow

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 12, 2003
Montgomery, AL US
Matt I'm no pro. A couple things I can see. You will need a different carrier since you have 2 series gears. You need to find a 3 series for a 8.2 rearend. Then posi there are a few others Auburn, Eaton, Yukon, I'm not knowledgeable enough to state which is better. Hopefully biggearhead will pop in and give a few more tips. If originality is not a factor I'd look for a different rearend as Gary specifies.

Latest posts