Need to try and keep it cooler

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by stinger124, Jan 8, 2011.

1. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

A double pass radiator requires a lot more pump pressure to flow the same volume as a single pass radiator. The effectiveness of cooling is in the difference in temperature between the cooling air and the hot radiator. If you restrict the flow and allow the outlet of the radiator to get too cool, the efficiency of the radiator is diminished.

It was interesting reading the Yellow Bullet thread where in the same paragraph one guy expounded the necessity of slowing the flow of coolant in the radiator while increasing the flow of air. Flow is king on both sides of the radiator, and the hotter you can get the radiator and the cooler you can get the air, the better it will work.

2. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

hi guys.. a few suggestions here...
    what I see there is a very typical Corvette setup. Problem is you are missing 2 critical pieces.

You need a duct to get cooler outside air in there... all you are doing right now is recycling hot, under hood air thru the radiator. And pushing it is very inefficient. If the radiator is in good shape, it should be OK to keep it.

Build a duct from aluminum (you can get sheet pans for dirt cheap) to direct the cooler air from the from grille to the radiator and change to a dual, shrouded fan arrangement.

Maybe even using a dual stage fan controller to cut current draw if that is an issue. The fans need to run at max rpm and be of the hi-flo variety.

Pulling in cold air, thru the radiator is a better way to go. It won't add much weight... maybe 2-3 lbs and will be light years ahead of what you currently have.
    Circle track racers have used this approach successfully for years.

Just something to think about...
    JMHO, YMMV and all that other crap... lol:innocent:

BTW.. I'm originally from Wichita Falls... hows the economy doing down there? I may pull up stakes and split NoVA.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. Smokin70SS

Smokin70SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wasn't specific. In the post, "mayhem", was who I wanted to quote in air flow and also air quality. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

I'm not blaming the messenger, I was merely pointing out some common misunderstandings about the physics of heat exchanging. Guys understand the benefits of mass flow on the air side but don't see the connection on the water side.

5. stinger124

stinger124 Veteran Member

K5JMP...Man things are ok here.. economy seems to be picking back up. Lost a lot of jobs over the last two years but its gettin better.

I do appreciate all the info you guys have put out here. I am reading over it all.