Need wiring help

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Shields, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

I've got a headache from trying to figure this stuff out. I've got 2 kenwood 6x9s (kfc-6985ps) running 115 watts rms, one kenwood 4x10 (kfc-415c) running 80 watts rms. I bought a 4 channel amp, 440 watts peak, rms 60 x 4 at 4 ohms or 90 x 4 at 2 ohms. Can I wire the two 6x9s and the 4x10 to this amp? Anyone give me a guide to doing it? Just a rookie dipping his feet into audio goodness :)

2. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

There's basically two ways to run that amp

1. Run the 4x10 off the radio and bridge the amp to the 6x9's
    2. Run the 6x9's off the amp and bridge the amp to the 4x10

Personally I would've ran a dual channel 4x10 or mount two 4" speakers in the 4x10 opening. I hope this helps.

3. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

May I give you a few quick lessons? I don't want to offend, but I just want to help you understand the terminology, that way the communcation is more clear when you speak to people with more experience, and their advice will mean more to you. ;)

I've got 2 kenwood 6x9s (kfc-6985ps) running 115 watts rms, one kenwood 4x10 (kfc-415c) running 80 watts rms.
    Lesson #1. Speakers don't run power. They get "ran" by power. The power you're referring to is what the speakers can handle, not what they're "running". E.G., you have 2 Kenwood 6" x 9" speakers than can handle 115 watts, RMS. OK? ;)

I bought a 4 channel amp, 440 watts peak, rms 60 x 4 at 4 ohms or 90 x 4 at 2 ohms.
    You obviously have a grasp on what "RMS" means, which is a great thing. It will help you understand what I'm about to suggest.

Can I wire the two 6x9s and the 4x10 to this amp? Anyone give me a guide to doing it?
    Yes, you can. Just a quick question. When you say "the" 4" x 10", is there only one in the center of the dash? If so, you have to be careful how much power you send to it. If you were to bridge that amplifier to it, there would be up to 180 watts RMS going to it. That is a lot more than its RMS rating. A lot more.

If that's the case, you'd probably be better off just running one of those two channels to the 4" x 10", that way it only receives about 60 watts RMS. Basically, you'll only be using 3 of the 4 channels of the amplifier, but it'll be the safer route to go unless you enjoy changing out the front speaker. ;)

You'll need to combine the signals from both, the left and the right channels from the radio, to the amplifier, in order for it to sound right. That's easy. Just use a "Y" adapter with two female ends and one male end and combine the two channels and plug it into whichever channel you choose to use to run the 4" x 10" speaker.

Like this . . .

[​IMG]

Just a rookie dipping his feet into audio goodness :)
    We all gotta start somewhere (and have). You're doing well.

4. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Power handling is just for a a full range speaker, not for a speaker that is ran at a higher frequency. If you run a crossover to that front speaker you can run it on one channel and tune the volume with the amp gain.

When I used to run a local car audio shop, I ran over 300 watts RMS per channel to a set of 5 1/4" components for years with no issues.

5. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Curious here.....any reason you want to run a single 4x10? You'll have better sound with 2 4" full range loudspeakers. This way, you can utilize all 4 channels and still have room to add a subwoofer or two....which will be next on your list after you "get used to" your sound system....lol its a vicious cycle that all we audiophiles know very well.

6. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

So would I bridge my 6x9s to channel 1&2? And run the 4" speakers off their separate channel 3&4?

I made fiberglass enclosures to house two clarion 10" subs in the sides of my trunk, run off an ultimate t2-5001 monoblock I picked up on Boxing Day, pretty good small system but I think the 10's with the 6x9s and 4x10 will give me a good sound for rock an roll. I'd rather be wrist deep in fiberglass resin again than be dealing with this wiring, haven't fully grasped the concept of ohms, rms, wattage, parallel and series, it's all mostly new to me

7. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

Thank you tons, it's much easier to understand now. All I ask from the audio gurus is patience :) thanks again!