Needing help to find my dads old car, i have the vin

Discussion in 'Camaros Wanted' started by Nathan Cavanagh, Nov 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nathan Cavanagh

Nathan Cavanagh New Member

Hello, my name is Nathan Cavanagh and i live in nova scotia, Canada, my father used to own a 1973 Camaro LT, he turned it into a drag racing car and said he sold it to a guy in Ontario, i was wondering if anyone would like to help me track down the car, I have pictures of the car and the vin number for the car. the vin Number is 1S87H3N191304
    Resized_20200204_120154.JPG Resized_20200204_120124.JPG Resized_20200204_132734.JPG

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would contact the DMV in Ontario and see if they still offer an owners list via VIN for x amount of dollars.
    Due to the privacy acts that have cropped up they probably don’t. I got one back in the late 80’s or 90’s when I was trying to find my very first new car I bought, a 1977 Z28 that I ordered new. It had a list of plates, owners and dates each owner owned it.

Rene Melten likes this.
  3. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

In Ontario, you can get what they call a UVIP. Its a package that details the history of a used car. I bought one for my z28 (lol, the government forces you to but one for $20, I think) and had some pretty fascinating info like all past owners and their locations, and even the selling dealer. I plugged your vin into the MTO website, and it accepted the vin. It came back as a red camaro, that means info is available. Now, the info will offer a current owners name, and I think city, but not much else. Still, it's something!

https://www.services.gov.on.ca/wps8...rWj8OBtuxI2bfpfpa2dT2XK1yWHo8PF-2sUHwB1BZw!!/

At worst, you might need an Ontario DL, since it asks you to input one. Anyone can ask for this UVIP info, so an Ontario relative can do it. If you can't order the package from Nova, and have no Ontario relatives, you can pm me to help a brother out.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    Nathan Cavanagh and Rene Melten like this.
  4. Nathan Cavanagh

Awesome, ill try that out

5. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Let us know how it all goes.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the car ever left your Province and was re-registered in another Province, then you will be at a dead end. Or if the last owner registered it let’s say in 1999, then it’s good as gone and probably to the wreckers or another Province.
    I’ve done this before and wasn’t about to check with all the Province’s DMV’s who may not have the same service as Ontario.

7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Op stated that the car was sold to an Ontario buyer. The vin was accepted by the MTO website, so that is a good sign. Odds are it's probably disappeared to a scrapper, but you never know. I've tracked down many vintage motorcycles from the slimmest of leads. It's all about optimism!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020 at 12:33 PM
  8. Nathan Cavanagh

ok so I actually didn't need to use an Ontario drivers linsace, i actually put in my address and it actually worked so I'm going to ordered the uvip

9. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Awesome. Good luck, let us know what you find out.

10. Nathan Cavanagh

i just order the package said it would come in 5 days to where i live, thank you very much for the help man your a good man, also my dad told me he sold the car around 1989-1990, my father also said that a couple years later after he sold it, someone told him in a bar that his car crashed at a drag race. but there's like millions of identical 73 Camaros like that one, except i found the needle in the hey stack because of the vin number