Netbooks

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Strange81Z, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Anyone have one or know anyone who uses one? I'm thinking on getting one since I travel all the time. Planes have jammed in so many seats that you can't even open a standard laptop anymore. So from that aspect alone I feel it would be worth it, but I just want someones thoughts that actually owns one. So if you do, please chim in.

Thanks
    Shawn

2. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I dont own one, but have messed with a few. I personally like the Toshiba one, I think because I like the way the keyboard feels. The one I dont like is the HP ones that have the left and right mouse butoons on the left and right sides of the touchpad instead of below the touch pad.

There are also ones by Nokia that have 3g access integrated for aircards through wireless carrier.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. Strange81Z

I'm looking at the Samsung one or the Gateway one. Those are both new and come with Windows 7 Starter.

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Translation = I drank so many soda's my gut won't allow enough room to maneuver. :crazy:

I use my laptop on the planes all the time.

5. Strange81Z

Yea, my company was being nice and gave me a 19" Wide Screen Multimedia Laptop.........to a guy that spends a lot of his time on the road. :screwup: You must have a 16", either that or you fly first class.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Problem solved...;)

We don't have a netbook yet, but we are considering one (even though we do typically fly first class - it pays to be Platinum status...) because of the lighter weight for leisure travel.

7. sszz4

sszz4 Member

I have the HP Mini 1025DX. As Aces said the mouse buttons are to the left and right of the touch pad which takes a little getting used too. It doesn't bother me anymore. I have the 160gig HD and 2 gigs of RAM running Windows XP. It runs really well.

When I'm at my desk I can hook up an external monitor to it so i don't have to stare at the little screen all the time. Some websites are alittle hard to read and you sometimes have to scroll left and right with the screen being so small.

I would also suggest going for one with a 6 cell battery. Mine has the three cell and once that goes I will buy the 6 cell for it.

If it's mostly for traveling I would suggest one with a solid state drive. A little more protection when getting bounced around.

8. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought my wife an Asus Eee PC as a gift and she loves it. It's not for heavy duty computing, she just uses it for browsing the web in the house and at the airport/on the plane or any wifi spots where she might have it with her. It doesn't have any CD drives but she keeps everything on thumb drives anyway and for her needs it functions well. They keyboard is unbelievably small even for my average sized hands but you get used to it after a while. I've been considering getting my own (Acer Aspire) for the same purposes.

9. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Shawn- why not just ask the company for a smaller laptop? My Thinkpad T400 (14" widescreen) I got is pretty nice. You can find 12" & 13" models out there, too- ones that CAN be used for all your business needs (the slow Atom processor on the netbooks doesn't cut it here).
    When you're a road warrior, carrying multiple devices for overlapping functions is going to get old fast. Will you leave the

Ipod Touch will do Web browsing and email easily as well as a netbook, IMO. That's what I use when I want small.

EDIT: 2nd the SSD option, but mainly because it helps demand in my segment of the industry.:D

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ewwww.......I'm jealous.

I wanted that 20" Dell mobile workstation behemoth but they stopped making it. :whine:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009