Neutral safety switch circuit

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Nick1968, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Nick1968

Nick1968 Member

I think I’m gonna start from scratch and build my own circuit to run through the switch between the ignition and the starter

MChamp likes this.
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a Canada car?
    That's another wrinkle to the issue.
    If your car was originally sold in Canada... It wouldn't have the ECM (computer) in 81.
    They were exempt for US emissions that year.

That's probably your best plan at this point.

MChamp likes this.
  3. Nick1968

Nick1968 Member

Yes it is a canada car lol sorry I didn’t know that made a difference that makes me feel as if there’s a lot less grief of dealing with an ecm delete as there’s so little evidence of an ecm ever being on the car

4. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

yep... I love it when a plan comes together! :lush:

5. procharged81

procharged81 Veteran Member

Here is what I can offer

My car is an 81. Originally a 229 V6, auto. I gutted everything and went with SBC, turbo 350, Turbo Action shifter. No computer left or any of the associated wiring.

My neutral safety and reverse lights work as they did originally. I did nothing different to get them to work with my swap.

MChamp likes this.
  6. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Not sure of a Canadian car but 81 US cars did not use an electrical neutral safety switch. The switch at the base of the column is for the lock up torque converter and for the back up lights.

The neutral safety is accomplished mechanically in the steering column. You should not be able to turn the key to start the car unless the car is either in neutral or park.

This is how it works for automatics, manual trannys may be different.

RickM

paintman65 likes this.
  7. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

yeah, I watched as my brother completly tore down a '92 (it might be a '82, I forget) dash to fix that weee little armature, It took longer to drink a beer than it did me to weld it back together. I never thought he'd get it back together.. Our best guessimate the car has over 300k now. I guess OCD runs in the family.

8. Nick1968

Nick1968 Member

How does the wiring affect the torque converter? I got a th350 tranny without a single wire controlling the tranny fully mechanical linkage for shifting and tranny running off vacuum

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

For 2nd gen Camaros... Only the TH350C in 81 (and TH200C in 80) had wiring to the transmission from the factory.
    The circuit was for controlling the Torque Converter lock-up solenoid.

If you don't have an electrical plug on the driver's side of the tranny... It isn't designed to use a locking torque converter.

10. Nick1968

Nick1968 Member

So from what I understand the two wires on my reverse light switch on the column is for the reverse lights the other two wires are for the torque converter lock up? And then as far as the neutral safety switch goes if the shifter is moved out of park or neutral it should physically not allow me to turn the key to the start position in a perfectly working system through the back drive linkage?