NEW 74 Z28

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by John74z, Feb 13, 2019.

1. John74z

John74z New Member

I don’t think it’s been in NY but definitely the northeast. Yes it does have a long list of options. I’m have the build sheet. My plans for now are to drive it and enjoy It. Any opinions on oil (mobile1 15w-50) coolant, and especially whether i should change transmission fluid ? And can you guys tell whether things like the radiator and alternator are original? Thanks

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

I couldn't see the alternator very well. You will have to see what numbers are stamped on it. Originals are stamped 1102397.
    Here is an example:
    Your RC 33 IMG_0040.JPG
    radiator cap looks to be the original and theres a chance the rad is original.

3. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

The alternator for a 74 Z28 that has AC in them is part number 1100597 (61 amp). 74 Z28 without AC had 1102397 (37 amp) alternators in them. Please checkout this thread by me and other member who have 74 Z28's with AC.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/threads/74-z28-alternator-question.202124/

Your radiator cap is correct like Jonesy stated in a previous post. I am not sure about your radiator. An original radiator should have Harrison engraved on it with codes on a tag attached to it. Please click on the link below about the part number that s for an original Harrison radiator that came in automatic 74 Z28's.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/threads/74-z28-radiator-tank-and-tag-info-needed.228556/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  4. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

Nice car, I wonder if it’s the one that was on CL a year or so ago that was said to be owned by a woman since new. It was low miles but looked like it had moisture issues so maybe this isn’t the one.
    I’ve got almost all of the original parts numbers if you’re interested I can post them.

5. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

In regards to your radiator there are two things you can look for. On the tank portion.. (pass side near top) the word Harrison should be spelled out and also on pass side about half way down you should find a metal tag with numbers and letters embossed on it....since you have the buildsheet the letters should match with your buildsheet box 45. The numbers on tag should match numbers embossed also on tank pass side.
    Very nice car, welcome to this site.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  6. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Congrats! Nice Car! What do you intend to do with it? Keep it original as possible or rebuild it with newer parts?

7. dadgonebroke

dadgonebroke Veteran Member

As far as synthetic oil- when I changed a vehicle that had been on conventional oil to synthetic- every vehicle developed oil leaks.

8. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

9. John74z

John74z New Member

Thanks for the info on the alternator and radiator. I have the V01 code for the H/D Radiator so in box 45 it says LT, so that’s what I’ll look for. Wondering if other people have had the same experience as dadgonebroke with synthetic oil where they developed leaks. And thanks zfool for that great list of part numbers.

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

For the oil you've got a flat tappet cam so you might want to consider an oil with a high zinc content like Valvoline VRF or Brad Penn or something similar. Ever since the roller cams cam on board at the OEM level the oil companies have been reducing the zinc content as it is better for the catalytic converters. The zinc was in the old oils as the cam and tappets needed it to live. There have been thousands of posts about this on every automotive forum in the last 10 years or so. Do the research.