New, but old, leak question

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Eric, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My '79- is stored indoors, but the last few times it was outside in the rain, water would collect in the passenger side footwell.

Finally got around to looking into it this year, and went in thinking the seal around the kick panel vent (non-AC car) would be the issue. No, panel seal still quite solid.

Poured a bucket of water straight on and into the cowl/vent opening at the base of the windshield (not on the windshield or the upper corner area where the fender/cowl/windshield pillar meet) and the leak is coming from somewhere around the interior top corner- i.e. above and to the right of the heater box housing in the interior. In the cowl in as far as I can see anything, there is no rust or evidence of rot- but the amount of water leaking in is significant almost as if there is a hole somewhere near the top of the cowl inside the housing.

Looking at it from the interior, I see some sort of interior steel panel that comes up from the side (floorpan perhaps?) and tucks under what appears to be the cowl housing and has a red seam sealer (this is likely original) between the two. It is around this area where the leak appears to be. Does the floorpan actually sit against the outer side of the cowl and is only sealed with seam sealer (i.e. not fully welded in place)- i.e. a leak into the cowl can 'sit' in a gap/channel where if the sealer goes bad water will pour into car?

I really don't want to have to take off the hood and fender to investigate this if anyone has seen it before and can give me a proper direction to follow...

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Eric, mine didn't leak there, but I found a bunch of leaks in my car, and all but one were seam sealer related. Seems what they (GM) used back then shrunk. You're probably on the right track. Do you think you could take the wheel well out and possibly test again, or is the seam more "internal" than that? I think I know where you're talking about, and the one I'm thinking about is spot welded and seam sealed, not solid welded.

3. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If I remove the heater box covers- I am assuming I can get an arm in there to 'feel' for seams/leaks?

Picture attached, arrow (please excuse hand-done lines) indicating general area (should point up right into top corner) where leak seems to be coming from...

Attached Files:

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It looks like you will need to pull the heater box to seal that area.
    Be thankful your car doesn't have A/C. (The kick panel has non A/C vents.)
    Without A/C, that job is no fun but it's much worse with A/C equipped cars.