new cam this weekend

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by rtanner, Jan 18, 2012.

1. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

well i finally got tired of fighting the poor/no idle/low vacum 8pounds vacum'to big a cam deal, i bought the car this way, it has a really good fresh 355, ross forged flattops, eagle steel crank and rods, vortec heads w screw in studs and guide plates and big springs, but the comp 300 magnum has got to go, so i ordered up a summit 224 224 446 446 on 114, i bet i pick up a 100 ftlbs torque down low, ive already drag tested the current combo, so after the swap i will give a full report, but im expecting 14-16 inches vacum, and nice small lope w my vintage ac kicked on high, and for you guys that are going to chime in on dated cam better profiles bla bla bla, i bought my first high energy cam in 1980, so im well aware those style cams, and overly aware of their additional valve train noise, short life expectancy in a car thats driven everyday, so stay tuned im swapping it this weekend and racing it next weekend

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You have AGAIN proved my opinon that "less is more".

AND as an added benefit, you now have a motor in your car that you can actualy enjoy driving!

3. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Will be interesting to see how it runs with a baby cam. That is a pretty much stock cam. The cam in the LSX engines are bigger than that stock.

4. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I think you will be much happier with the " baby cam" for driving around with the ac kickin, and depending on the rest of your set-up, may give you better ETs. Unfortunatly, Im that first guy thats gonna chime in on that high energy stuff. If you are basing your experience with " high energy cams" on a profile from 1980, you maybe should have looked around alittle before you bought the summit cam. Cam tech is getting better everyday. Quick opening ramps with more gradual closing ramps snap the valves open quicker for a snappier engine while laying them down gently for less abuse and noise in the valve train. Not trying to tell you what you should have done, its not my car. I just got alittle confused about" high energy cams and the 1980s". Looking forward to seeing the difference. :)

5. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

The 114º LC gives a smooth idle,, look at stock cams, even stock performance cams have big LC. They have les overlap.

106º-110º LC provide a bit racier idle because the overlap is larger.

6. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

yeah new school, your right been a few changes since the high energy days, for one they changed the name on the 268h to 268 xtreme energy, i have a new comp 276 xtreme energy, the same cam as the old 274 high energy setting on the shelf, just tired of the weird valvetrain noise that accompanies those cams and the fact its gonna loose a lobe before 50k miles, and just a thought evoker hear, ever wonder why you have seen lots of engine dyno tests between modern energy,voodoo,xtreme, cams and old tech cams, But never any drag tests between them in the same car? now dont get me wrong ive had quite a few positive xperiences in low compression 87 octane 350s using the 268 and 2 383s w the 274/276 comp cams, but the associated goofy valvetrain noise and short life, is just not what im looking for in this combo.

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

From my experience a tighter LCA makes more tq. down low and a wider LCA makes more power up top. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

8. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

I have to wonder............. what valvetrain noise? I know a couple comp cams can be noisy but the better lunati voodoo cams have a softer closing ramp to eliminate noise and make the valvetrain last longer. We have the 60104 in our 63 nova right now and it is quiet, drives great on the street, makes gobs of power and sounds mean as shi......... ;)

9. F-Bodypilot

F-Bodypilot Veteran Member

The Comp. 268H is a single pattern cam,with duration and lift of.. 218I, 218E, .454I, .454E, 110 LSA . The XE268H is a dual pattern with 224I, 230E, .477I, .480E, 110LSA

10. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Call me crazy, but i dont mind all those mechanical noises. Its a hotrod, its suppose to make noise. thats why people put noisy gear drives and loud pipes on there toys. I have a comp extreme energy solid, 290 I believe, in my 68 camaro. Ive been running it for 2 yrs, and like all that noise. It also runs like a scalded dawg and pulls great from 2600 all the way to an engine shattering 7100 ( it would go farther but i have the rev limiter set at 7100). I had an older erson grind that was a similiar grind, that was a pure dog below 4500. I went from 12.0s to 11.30s with that swap. To each their own and im not trying to start an arguement , I was just going on my own past experience, not on what somebody said on a forum somewhere.:)