New car paint.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FatnLow, Sep 16, 2012.

1. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are all cars now water based now? On my car with under 8k miles I wash it and dry it and it seems like there are water pots eaten into the paint? What is best type of wax now days. I used Mcguires quik wax spray on my harley tanks and tins but I'm wondering about this newer paints. I like Mcguire 26 wax the bet. I've seen other wax threads but I'm wondering if this is do to new paint types etc. Thanks

2. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

You probably have hard water.

3. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Base coats are water based but the clears are not.

Still the same clear. I've heard some manufacturers are even using some single stage paints.

M26 is a good wax. For a little extra protection you can put down their M21 first. Follow up with their spray wax after washing.

Wax and sealants won't eliminate water spots though. It's not the paints fault. It's either your water or you're not getting it dried fast enough. Keep the car wet until you can dry it.

What have you tried to remove the water spots with? If mine spots while washing I can remove them with detail spray.

Check out the forum at Autogeek.net. A lot of great info about water spots, etc.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  4. Led Zep

Led Zep Veteran Member

May be acid rain,that is eating away at the clear coat(which IMO is the biggest weakness of clear coat).

5. FatnLow

Thanks for feedback. I do not have a water softener. I was going to try the spray detailer and then give it a good coat of the 26. I'll also give the M21 a look see at the store. My car is a black mica metallic so I got to be careful.

6. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have two black cars also. They are a pain. The paint must be cool and washed in shade.

Have you clayed your paint? I would do that before you wax. It will leave a better foundation for your wax to stick to allowing it to last longer.

7. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

I am leery to recommend this product. To look its best the paint must be polished with a compound to remove defects and swirls. Then you must do a full IPA wipedown to make sure any oils etc are removed from the paint surface.

PERMANENT ceramic paint sealant. It CAN be removed with a HEAVY polish but normal washing will never remove it. It is actually HARDER than any cars factory clear coat. Very easy to apply but the pre application prep needs to be done correctly.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

If you don't want to go that ^^^ extreme but want good looks and great protection then the LAST thing you want to use is an actual carnuba wax. Wax is very soft and lasts from a week to 1 month depending on conditions. Synthetic polymers can look just as good as carnuba wax but last MUCH longer and provide much better protection. Blackfire wet diamond is highly regarded as the best looking synthetic and one of the longest lasting synthetic sealants on the market today. A little pricey compared to some but a little goes a longgggggg way and it goes on and comes off VERY easy. Once it dries it requires almost no pressure at all to remove it.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-diamond-sealant.html

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  8. FatnLow

Thanks for info. You talk about a trip, the acid rain comment...Last night after washing it we had pouring rain for about 20-30 minutes. This morning I didn't have a chance to dry it off, but in looking at it, it looks as if most spots are gone. Probably not fully if I wet and dry but I'll give it a good waxing in my shop tonight.

9. Led Zep

Led Zep Veteran Member

If you have limestone in your region,this is what happens.Living in the South,you have a shower on hot day.Rain stops,then out comes the sun.The rain drops become corrosive,and will eat away at the clear coat.Clear coat is not bullet proof.Bad paint can be buffed out.Bad clear coat can not.

10. FatnLow

Interesting. I need to get the wax out.