New Clutch Defect - Should I Install?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Rayden2009, Jul 25, 2020.

1. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Hit it with a little Emery cloth and it should be just fine

2. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I trust CI as far as I can throw it, which is not far. If that passed safety inspection, then what can you not can not see would worry me. A friend of mine had a brand new Chev tow truck with less than a 1000 miles clutch blew up took off 1/2 right foot.

Zstar likes this.
  3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I still wouldn’t run it and it prolly same one you sent back, how that happened 2x? Get a credit return. Man that’s some bs , I’d flung that thing like a ufo I woulda been so upset

Zstar likes this.
  4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If you lay the disc on it, does that area part of the friction surface? If not, it shouldn’t be an issue. By looking at it, is this a stock power application piece?

5. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Veteran Member Gold Member

Yes the friction plate overlaps the defect, so it could be an issue. The clutch is good for 500 hp which is much more power then I have.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

No way would I put that in. I'd hate to see it blow apart. I would also wonder about balance. Sounds like they sent the first one back to you, or there's a bad lot of them. I've asked mechanics and gear heads around here, and with a street car there's no doubt I'm putting a LUK in mine.

Zstar likes this.
  7. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Veteran Member Gold Member

There must be a bad batch because the first one was still on route back when they sent out the replacement. I guess ill send this one back too. Im ocd and I know ill be thinking about this clutch flying apart every time I lay in on the car or shift hard at high rpm.

Zstar likes this.
  8. xten

xten Veteran Member

I'd be the same way, either cringing at a high RPM shift, or just not doing it at all. That'd suck.

9. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would NEVER even consider putting that in my car. Remember the Golden Rule......God helps people by sending them signs ..... right now he's trying to tell you not to be stupid.
    I played " Musical Clutches" for a while. The last one was a LUK ? sp? and it seems to be a lot better than any I've had before.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 10:25 PM