New computer cold boot issue!!

Keizer

BANNED
Jan 17, 2005
Wa State
Todd80Z28 said:
The larger gauge wiring makes some sense, too. At 3GB/sec theoretical throughput, skin effect is probably in effect.:)

I see these SATA cables now being advertised as "SATA 2" cables. There isn't really any difference in these SATA 2 cables, and the regular SATA cables is there?

Todd80Z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 11, 2002
Northern VA
I had to look it up. It looks like the difference is that the end has a locking mechanism to keep it from slipping off. Marketing hype.

However, you might google search for SATA cables and pay attention to conductor size. See if there's anything out there in the "high performance" realm (provided it doesn't cost any real money, of course).

Keizer

BANNED
Jan 17, 2005
Wa State
Todd80Z28 said:
I had to look it up. It looks like the difference is that the end has a locking mechanism to keep it from slipping off. Marketing hype.

However, you might google search for SATA cables and pay attention to conductor size. See if there's anything out there in the "high performance" realm (provided it doesn't cost any real money, of course).

Yeah I looked it up, and most say it's all hype. I know the new SATA cables that came with my mobo have the metal locking clamp on the ends. I have bench marked my hard drives with HD tach, and HD tune, so I know what they should be. I will bench them again with these older style, yet larger gauge SATA cables.

By the way, I have never had a SATA cable come loose. Even with the cables that DON'T have the metal lock on the ends. It's not like a PC sits there and shakes when you use it.

Aceshigh

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 9, 2001
Boondocks
Keizer said:
It's actually a really cheap hobby compared to cars.

Totally agreed, fraction of the cost, with 100x more payback on enjoyment.

You are right Doug, I didn't realize that 1G was a modular, wish mine was....I hate
all the extra cabling I have, wish it was modular but I'm a cheap ass. :p
This is 3x more then I've EVER spent on a PSU already....lol

Keizer

BANNED
Jan 17, 2005
Wa State
Todd80Z28 said:
Do you have all the SATA cables laid away from the power cables, and anywhere they cross, they do so at right angles?

Yeah, the SATA cables are all by themselves down low. The power cables to the hard drives do cross at a right angle. I do have the CD/RW drive SATA cable tie wrapped to the USB cable that goes to the top USB ports. They are running parallel with each other for a small distance. Is there any concern with this?? Both the CD/RW and USB ports function fine.

Keizer

BANNED
Jan 17, 2005
Wa State
Aceshigh said:
Totally agreed, fraction of the cost, with 100x more payback on enjoyment.

Yeah, with a computer, you spend $600.00 on upgrades, and you're good for three years. With cars, you spend $40,000.00 over a period of three years.

JOE1980DIRTe

Mar 6, 2009
OP, Kansas
yes it does sound like a psu issue. good luck with your new corsair! if it wasn't the psu it was the mobo at failure. if you have a microcenter near by or another pc store you can pickup a psu tester very cheap or if you have a multimeter and a paper clip you can test every rail yourself to see that they are getting the correct voltage. many psus will use multiple rails so you might try another power cable for your hard drives if you're pulling off of other rails. also i have used a phase cooler and from what i experienced the boot times and overall responsiveness of all components was faster not slower so your PC running cold should be a great thing.:D if you ever get a chance take a look at pc power and cooling psu's they are pretty good, stay away from tagan\ac3 industries. corsair has a solid product anyways. o and when you do get your system running right let me know if you wanna oc it a bit, i have a x6800 (similar to e8500) running at 4.0ghz air and when it was h20 it reached 4.5 (btw i never raise the voltage :eek: )

Keizer

BANNED
Jan 17, 2005
Wa State
JOE1980DIRTe said:
yes it does sound like a psu issue. good luck with your new corsair! if it wasn't the psu it was the mobo at failure.

Yeah, it crossed my mind that it could be the SATA controller on the mobo. However, my 3rd F SATA storage hard drive, and CD/RW drive always showed in the bios. So after connecting my C and D drive to the SATA connections that my 3rd F SATA storage hard drive, and CD/RW drive were connected to, I still got the issue.

To me, it seems like it has to be PSU or the two cables that my C and D drive were using. Or, it could be that the bios is flying right by the C and D drives before they have a chance to fully spin up and be recognized. They are the first two drives in the chain of SATA connections on the mobo. And my C drive is 2nd in the boot order.

Latest posts