New exhaust for the 81Z28 project.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Zedzag, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I nick-named this project Jalopy for fun as she's not very pretty to look at and people think she's a just another clapped out 81Z28.

A few weeks a go I installed the new Hooker LS swap 1 7/8" ceramic long tubes and needed a nice exhaust to match. I had a local shop fab up a 2.5" X pipe system and perform their super-tight tuck job for maximum ground clearance. The lowest point of the car now is the bolt in CE subframe collectors.

I'll be dynoing again Monday to see what the headers, exhaust, LS6 intake and 36 lb/hr injectors are worth over my previous 370 rwhp numbers using the old 1 5/8 headers, LS1 intake with stock 28 lb/hr injectors and 3" non mandrel bent no crossover junk exhaust that hung way too low.

Here's some pics of the new exhaust and some show the Hooker ground clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Hey Zedzag, nice to see you got your new Hooker headers in. I see you're running a TH350 transmission, what engine mounts are you currently using and how are your header clearances around everything on the passenger side of your car?

3. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I'm using S&P adapters with the factory clamshell mounts. I have moved the frame portion of the mount back to mate the LS engine with the TH350. This way I could still use the factory trans crossmember and driveshaft. There is more than ample room on the passenger side with these headers.

4. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

I nick-named this project Jalopy for fun as she's not very pretty to look at

[​IMG]

5. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. If you would like to trade a couple of Holley/Hooker T-shirts for some specific photos of your combination I'd like to have in my file, shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Todd

6. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Great to know that Hooker now has LS-swap headers for our cars. Their website specs mention "Hooker 3” 2nd-gen F-body exhaust system", but I cannot find that. Is it vaporware?

The good shops in my area won't touch my exhaust ('81) because I don't have cats. So I have to do my own exhaust welding and I am the 3rd worst welder in the world. (Was the very worst until some recent practice.)

7. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

The 2.5" and 3" Hooker exhaust systems for 2nd-gens are indeed real parts, we're just working on finalizing the product release that contains all the pertinent information for our resellers and waiting for the first runs of each to come up in the production schedule in our Mississippi facility where they are made. The welding fixtures have all been completed and delivered, so there is no development work remaining to do...the attachment shows the
    3" sytem laid out with the long-tube headers, which you can install with no welding required.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Toddoky: sounds like you have inside information on this. I was all set this week to order the Dynatech headers and enough parts to fab my own exhaust system. Looking at pics here, the Dynatech headers seem to hang much lower than my Edelbrock headers (on LS2 engine swap). So the Hooker headers seem very desirable.

The OP has obviously installed the Hooker headers, but in another thread you say they are not quite available yet?? Or does it depend upon the model? I would go Ceramic or SS. (Which is better?)

I currently have the G-Force trans mount and TransDapt engine mount adapters. How important is it to get the Hooker parts? I wouldn't mind getting the Hooker engine mounts, but really like the sturdy G-Force trans mount. (I've been running my LS2 swap for 3 years now - just want to try something different.)

Is the exhaust system stainless steel or plain steel? Is it true 3" after the muffers too?

Finally, when realistically might I receive the entire system if ordered now?
    (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Yes mrvedit, I'm the exhaust design engineer here at Holley/Hooker and can provide you with any fitment and/or design info you need regarding any of the new Hooker 2nd-gen LS swap components.

The 75-81 versions of the headers has been available for a little while now and the 1970-74 versions are going through their first production run now with initial availability being reported as the 23rd-25th of this month.

The only bolt-in fitment I can guarantee is with the Hooker mounting components as their unique design geometry centers the engine and transmission in the center of the chassis and as such was the basis for the design of the header tube/collector layout. If you use any sort of LS swap plates mounts or another brand of crossmember, they will position the engine and transmission in the chassis with the stock 3/8" to 1-2" offset to the passenger side and therefore upset the alignment of the header collectors to the Hooker exhaust system inlet pipes.

The G-force crossmember also probably does not have the same exhaust passage height underneath it as the Hooker crossmembers do, so you can expect probable interference with the exhaust inlet tubes in that area as well if you try to install the Hooker exhaust system with that crossmember.

The 3" Hooker system is 3" all the way back and is 100% stainless steel. A tubing order is due to be delivered to the facility this week, which will allow the 1st production run to take place. This is why we're using the SEMA show dates as the official release date for these systems although they will probably end up on the shelf and be available for purchase a week before the show.

10. biggjay96x

biggjay96x Veteran Member

looks great!
    when you posting the sound clip?