New front end, Old feel

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Johnboy9914, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

Over the winter I completely dissassembled the front end of my 81 camaro all the the way to the firewall. I installed new body bushings (factory rubber), shocks, correct springs, new ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, drag link, tie rods, etc. etc. Basically everything is brand new (all bushings are factory rubber, no synthetic materials.) Upon completion, I had the car towed to the local alignment shop and had the front end aligned. I am running, nearly new, 15X7 radials with correct pressure. I have doubled checked every nut and bolt on the car for tightness and when necessary the correct torque specs. When I drove it home (all of 4 miles) I could tell right away the car felt like it was floating, even at 45 MPH (similiar to my 66 mustang at 100 MPH) and wanted to wander over the road (not much, but enough for me to notice). I am going to adjust the steering box (small increments of 1/4 turn) to see if I can adjust it out (I rebuilt the steering shaft as well). Other than that, does anyone know why the car would feel this way. I was expecting the tight feel of a new car. The car drove better before I installed all the new parts. (The car is an 81, Z28, with new 350 crate motor. All parts used were for a Z-28). Thanks in advance for comments.

2. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, you didn't really change anything from stock, so you can't expect much.

You didn't mention shocks... good ones would help. I used and would recommend; Edlebrock IAS shocks.

I think that you will need to get a new steering box for a "tighter feel". A fast ratio box with newer type valving would help a lot.

3. rare71

rare71 Veteran Member

Sounds like a caster issue to me.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

sounds like the shop set the alignment to 1970 specs with bias ply tires.

oooops i see john said the same thing. lol lol lol

just to clarify toe 1/16"-1/32" toe IN
    and for caster you want positive not negative

6. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Yeah, what Tommy and John said. I used their specs on my 73, and man it drives nice. I feel like I have total control of the car, without it trying to butt in and float and drift.

7. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same here...a big difference in feel & control compared to the factory settings I had prior to using their recommended settings!

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You might also take a look at your ragjoint/steering coupler

9. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

It sounds a lot like the alignment is off to me. There are many shops out there that unfortunately no longer remember how to align our cars. Kinda sad, but it's true. Could you post up the numbers it was set to?