New Here, Sons first car, 1978 project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Wadd2, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Hey guys. I've always read this forum but didn't own a camaro. I am a long time over on Steves Nova Site as I have a 1964 2 dr hdtp Nova and a 1966 2 dr hdtp Nova. My son is alost 13 and will get his school permit in a year and he chose a 1978 Camaro as his first car! It is a project him and I will work on together. First couple pics are of my Novas and the rest are of what we worked on this last weekend. We just got the car a week ago. Here's our story: 2 summers ago my then 11 year old built the engine that's in our '64 with my help. I am very thankful he is interested in cars. Well he is now almost 13 and a year from now will get his school permit to drive since we live a ways from school. We started looking around and originally he was interested in a 4X4 pickup. Well, I told him I'd help him but he had to pay part of it. The other day he changed his mind and decided he'd like a classic car instead. He began searching on Craigslist and this is what he found 30 minutes away from us. 1978 Camaro, all original, 305 V8, Positraction (shocked me), automatic trans, Air Conditioning (works and blows cold! still with R12), Power steering, Power brakes. The owner just finished putting in new interior. 134,000 miles and it runs like a top and drives perfect! It has some rust around lower rear 1/4's and a little on lower rear edge of fender. Otherwise, needs new door handles, and some misc. but is a great starter. Guy wanted $3800 but I got it for $2800. I think we did ok. Very excited now to not only spend more time with my son but the fact he's carrying on the car passion. Here's my cars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is my sons new purchase:
    [​IMG]

Here's an update:

Well, After a real late night Friday and 1/2 the day Sat. and 1/2 the day Sun. we got a lot done but it doesn't look like it! Most of what we did is hidden. We 1st pulled the passenger door panel to see why the inside handle didn't work. Rod was bent and latch needed lubed, easy fix. Then we pulled drivers side panel and found lower window stop broken, easy fix. Next we pulled both doors and set in to rebuild the hinges. Was hoping to just do pins and bushings but as is usually the case, they had been left go too long and had worn through the bushing and into the hinge. Rather than buy new ones we welded the holes shut and machined them back out and the hinges are as good as new. You can open and close the doors now with a finger. Also removed the outside door handles and are waiting on replacements since they were broke due to the hinges. Also removed the locks as even after lubing they didn't work all the time because the key and tumblers are worn. We also replaced the glove box/bin that's in the console since the plastic hinge was broke. Then we decided to chase some vacuum lines because it was idling a tad rough and the a/c worked on normal and bi-level but not max. Easy fix, had one cracked vacuum line and one that had been replaced but was too big. Next couple weeks the plan is to replace the lower fender extension, the passenger inner fender and battery box, outside door handles and passenger door pull plus lock cylinders. All in all a great weekend. If any of you every need to redo your hinges I have a tip for the spring on the top hinge. I tried the compressor shown in the pic but the spring was too strong for it. So I looped some strong wire through the spring on each side and then compressed the spring in the vice. Once compressed I tightened up the wire real good. When you open the vice the wire holds the spring compressed so you can take it out! Then when you reinstall just put the spring in and cut the wire with some diagonal cutters! You'll also see our 7 year old hunting pal Champ and is 8 week old son Gauge![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

More pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Welcome and good luck with the project. Looks like a good starting point for your son to learn. Good looking dogs too!

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to NastyZ... :)

Always loved those 66 Nova's. Looking good.

5. PrimerZ383

PrimerZ383 Member

You don't know how close you and your Son will become doing this project. Your Son reminds me a lot of my Son. His first project was his mother’s 87 Cougar XR7. He now has a 500+ hp 87 Mustang convertible and he is a Honda technician. His knowledge and experience has helped me immensely on my 71 RS project. Ironic, the teacher becomes the student. Enjoy it, have fun and keep the pictures coming. Can’t wait to see him drive it.

6. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Thanks fellas. Um, uh, probably shouldn't admit it, but he has already driven it, lol. We live in the country so far away from traffic and I of course rode with him. He does very well. It helps a ton that he's tall for his age so he fits the car better than most 12 year olds would. He has a grin on his face when driving and it makes me proud.

7. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to NastyZ28! Thats a awesome first car! Keep up the work. The memories will be well worth it.

8. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

wow they grow up quick now, I was still riding my Honda mini cycle at this age....LoL

good luck guys:)

9. RLL Z-28

RLL Z-28 Veteran Member

Welcome, starting to see more and more father/son projects I like these threads keep posting them.

10. Panther

Panther Veteran Member

I remember the great times I had with my dad working on dirt bikes. I have a 15 year old girl that 2 years ago she told me that she wanted a 1968-1969 Camaro. My 14 year old boy has never been interested in hot rods until I brought home my 1972 Camaro two weeks ago. He asked me if he gets it when he starts to drive in two years. I guess I'll see which one is going to work on the car the hardest. Lol