New Here, Sons first car, 1978 project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Wadd2, Aug 27, 2013.

1. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Welcome to Nasty. Great looking project! Looks like you guys are off to a good start. I used to own a couple Dueces, a 64 Post and 63 Hardtop. I also had a 72 Nova Ralley. A Nova is what I was originally looking for before finding my Camaro.
    Your pup Gauge looks good too :) He looks like our chocolate Lab Jackson, right down to the red collar except ours is 5 month old and 55 lbs :eek: and growing!:screwup:

2. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Veteran Member

Welcome to the board .....

digging those nova(s) and glad to see that your son is on the right track ( following his fathers footsteps, working on cars )

and we love photos =)

3. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I'm quickly realizing this is a great forum just like my Nova site. They do grow up fast as some said. I will post more pics as we get a chance to work on it. Was hoping to this weekend but we'll see. Dove season opens and we HAVE to tend to those!

4. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Update

Thanks for all the compliments and they help to reaffirm that I'm doing the right thing. Yesterday we replaced the rear end cover gasket, pinion seal, and rear trans. seal to get rid of some leaks. After this week we should have the interior all put back together and finished for good after we replace the console bin lid, the door locks, window sweeps/felts, and the interior door handles. Next big project after that is the front inner fender passenger side and battery tray. Then it's time to start cutting out the rust and the patch panels have already been shipped so no shortage of work ahead!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Great looking project to start with... good luck with it. I'll follow along!

Ron

6. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Well, been a while but we've got quite a bit accomplished! Cut out the rust on the drivers lower 1/4 and found the trunk drop off pretty bad. Replaced the drop off and then did a patch panel on the 1/4. Both turned out real nice but I forgot to take a pic of the lower 1/4 after the patch and all was done, just have one with it cut out and the trunk drop off. I've never done patches so I was pretty happy with how it turned out. took the fender off the drivers side and patched the lower rear of it. Luckily the inner brace was still good. The new patch didn't come with the lower part with the bolt holes, etc. so I had to take it off the old fender and weld it on the bottom of the patch, was pretty worried about that but turned out great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Finished view of rear 1/4 patch panel
    [​IMG]
    Fender back on complete with lower patch panel finished and swapped out the fender extension. Old one was smashed so bought a used one from a Z28 so had to weld up the holes from the fender flares. Holy cow, about 25 or so bolts total to take a front fender off one of these things, unreal!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Sean 74Z

Sean 74Z Veteran Member

Welcome , and how about some names. I might have missed them. I enjoyed working with my dad and learned and still learn when we work on the car

10. zd4speed

zd4speed Member

Yellow Camaros are hard. good luck.