New Here, Sons first car, 1978 project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Wadd2, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ezetorr37

ezetorr37 Veteran Member

Nice job on the motor.

2. JCSilver80

JCSilver80 Veteran Member

Just read through your thread.....great project, coming along very nicely.

3. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some good work going on there! I got one of those same helpers! This is Deuce!
    [​IMG]

4. zhedding

zhedding Veteran Member

car is coming along nicely, and that dog is funny mine does the same thing but in the mud.. lol

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your working that poor ole dog too hard! Good looking build. :)

6. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Update

Well, just finished the heater core job. I suppose it was worth it since the old one did have a leak and I caught it before it ate the floor. Cleaned the floor up and POR15 was applied. Removing it really wasn't that bad, but it took me 4 hours to get it back in. If a GM engineer from 78 was around I'm pretty sure I would have beat him with a crow bar. Couldn't get the studs to line up with the holes. Had it in and out 3 times before I finally got them bent just right to hit the holes. I guess it was worth it. Resealed the whole box, checked all vacuum lines and found one broken so I fixed that. Also was able to vacuum test the whole system with my vacuum pump and made sure it all works. Also found and repaired some broken heater duct and many missing screws from someones prior attempt at some kind of repair. Got all that fixed up and also installed a new blower motor. Then I got the console back in and the seat so the interior is done. Got the rest of the hoses and wires hooked up and filled the system with coolant. I was pretty sure I wouldn't have any leaks since the engine has already been broken in and looked good on the stand but was still nervous, lol. No leaks. I could have finished the job and started the car but I was tired and it'll just have to wait a few days. All that's left is to re-install the inner fender and battery and we should have it running. Then we'll have to check the trans. fluid and top it off since that's been rebuilt as well as the power steering pump. Already called the exhaust shop so we'll get it in to get the exhaust done and then to the alignment shop since we rebuilt the whole front end too. After that, posi and gears then off to paint next winter!

7. Mike76Rally

Mike76Rally Veteran Member

Thats an exciting plan just thinkin about it, good luck with everything and hope it works well. You're doing it right - all at once. Whatever bumps in the road you may run into, you'll be ready for them since you built up everything. Have fun with it!!

8. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Thanks! Yeah, one things for sure, once it's going we will have either fixed or replaced everything except the master cylinder and wiper motor since they both seem to work great! Wasn't originally planning on getting so deep into it but I just can't stand to do things half a$$Ed.

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just found this thread! Amazing work and great to see you working with your son on it!

10. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

Recently did the same thing...it was a nightmare for us as well...