New Here, Sons first car, 1978 project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Wadd2, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Update

Got the inner fender back in and fluids topped off. Car runs awesome! Finished a little tuning today with idle mixture, accel. pump arm adjustment, squirter change, and tweaked the vacuum advance can and was able to completely eliminate a slight stumble it had. Really runs good. 3.42 gears came today and I had already purchased a set of pinion bearings to hone out for set up bearings. Honed them today to slip on the pinion to make the process of gear and posi install much easier and faster. I also got new axle bearings and seals and we're going to replace those since we will already be pulling the axles. Gonna hold off on that til next week. Pypes x pipe and mufflers also came today. We have an appointment next Tuesday morning to have all the exhaust done and Tuesday after lunch to get the alignment done. The old blower motor must have been going bad or the flaps weren't working in the heater box because after rebuilding all that and replacing the blower motor, the fan blows much harder now! After next Tuesday, we'll do the rearend and then mount the a/c compressor back on it and get it charged up and it will be a new car minus paint! Light at the end of the tunnel for me...Already excited for next summer when hopefully my son can show his new Camaro along side my Chevy II at car shows!

2. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Update

Exhaust is done, front end has been aligned, and I finished up the posi and the 3.42 gears last night. Man, what a job that shouldn't have been. The original carrier had the cross shaft retaining bolt broke off in it AND one of the spider gears had welded itself to the cross shaft! New stuff went in good. Was able to use original pinion bearing shim to get the perfect pinion depth and after a little shimming and changing, got the perfect .008" backlash. Gear patterns look text book perfect both drive and coast. Zero noise from rear end and very little heat. Lol, speedometer was 25 mph to fast once I was done so did some calculations in the computer and went to town today to get an 8 tooth drive gear and 21 tooth driven gear for the speedometer. Took it out and it is right on the money. That completes everything mechanically for me. The ONLY thing I didn't change or rebuild was the rear spring bushings because they looked ok. We'll drive it around a little this summer and then off to paint this winter! Car runs and drives awesome and is a lot of fun.

3. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Put about 35 miles on the car today. What a blast. The car is just a joy to drive! Talked to my body and paint guy today too and it won't be long before we take it over there. Gonna be Sebring Silver with early 70's stripes. Can't wait. I may have to start searching for my own Camaro project!

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sweet! Sounds like the Xmas present under the tree that the kid never gets to play with...:crazy:

5. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Wow, can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted in this thread! Finally, today, we dropped the car off at the painter! Waiting for the 2" cowl hood to arrive so I can drop that off too. Either going with 2002 Sebring Silver Metallic or a Ferrari Silver Metallic. Will also do gloss black stripes on the hood and trunk. After that, weather strip, sill plates, and it's complete! We've driven the car a bunch and yesterday it was 99 here. Car ran awesome and never went over 190. Really gonna be a sweet ride for my son.

6. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

sounds great. excited to see those paint choices

7. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

More progress. If everything went as he hoped my painter was hoping to have the car in primer by tonight. Moving along quickly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ls1jorge

ls1jorge Member

Very Nice Build you got going on with your son man, good to see others teach the little ones young, I plan to do the same with my son I still have my 79 camaro from high school & after I'm done building my 99z28 ill be working on my 79 with my son.

9. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

I might add, that's an AMD 2" cowl hood. I did lots of reading about the cowl hoods and fitment, etc. This one showed up in perfect condition. Talked to the guys doing the paint and they said they literally bolted it on, and had to remove a shim from one fender to get everything lined up. To me it looked perfect, gaps and all. They told me they still had a little adjustment to do before they'd be happy. Also tried the wipers (concealed) and they clear the hood with no problem. They are factory style wipers though so when I replace them as long as I replace them with factory refills, no problem! I was worried about that after reading some posts about people having wiper issues. Very happy with the hood and I like the cowl better than Goodmark that slopes up in the rear more.

10. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Update

Big jump ahead here! I have some other pics of more bodywork and my son shooting primer but after a lot of work and time, she got color on last night! Layout stripes today and clear up next! Very happy so far. Switchblade silver metallic is the new color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]