New Here, Sons first car, 1978 project

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
That looks really sharp! Great to hear the painter made things right as well! Too many horror stories on here about cars in paint jail and other disasters!

Wadd2

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2013
Shelton, Nebraska
Da-bigguy said:
That looks really sharp! Great to hear the painter made things right as well! Too many horror stories on here about cars in paint jail and other disasters!

Well, I'm really lucky. It just happens that my painter is a former student of mine and he does paint work on the side of his regular job. All the body work and prep plus the paint job is only costing me $1500+paint! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford this for my son. I'm lucky!

Wadd2

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2013
Shelton, Nebraska
We get to go pick the car up today at 1:30! Needless to say I'm excited and my son is very excited! Then we can spend all afternoon vacuuming and dusting all the body shop dust from the inside and under the hood lol. Then the plan is put the license plate on it and CRUISE!!!! Gonna be fun.

Wadd2

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2013
Shelton, Nebraska
arick793 said:
Those stripes look awesome! Did he use a stencil kit or tape them off by hand?
Stripes in first pics when it had tiger stripes he taped by hand. I thought they looked perfect but he thought they should be better. The new ones were done with stencils he made on a vinyl cutter. He's a drafter by trade and does paint on the side. Only 24 years old.

arick793

Veteran Member
Oct 27, 2008
Rochester, NY
Wadd2 said:
Stripes in first pics when it had tiger stripes he taped by hand. I thought they looked perfect but he thought they should be better. The new ones were done with stencils he made on a vinyl cutter. He's a drafter by trade and does paint on the side. Only 24 years old.

So... does he want to make another set of stencils?

Wadd2

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2013
Shelton, Nebraska
arick793 said:
So... does he want to make another set of stencils?
I can ask! How do you want them? Notice mine is parallel to the cowl part of the way and then goes parallel to hood line. Little different than original early 70's stripes. Otherwise dimensions match factory.