New hood questions

Ben Plunkett

Sep 3, 2020
Hey everybody,

I was looking to get a new hood for my 79' Z28. I was wondering what your thoughts were on flat vs. scooped vs. cowl. Also what material would be worth getting being steel, fiberglass, or carbon fiber? Everything under the hood is currently stock so I was also wondering if I would run into any clearance issues?

Thanks everyone,
Ben

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
A CF Hood is $2-$3.5k...compared to a fiberglass or steel which is considerably cheaper. Unless your concerned about weight, I would stick with a steel hood

Ben Plunkett

Sep 3, 2020
Awesome I'll definitely stick with a steel or fiberglass hood then. I was looking a bit online for possible replacements but it seems to be hard to find a stock steel hood with the scoop for the Z28. Do you think it would be worth it for me to buy the flat hood and scoop separately and cut out and install that myself? I saw on another thread that they don't always look the best so worst case I may just stick with the stock flat hood but I was wondering what your thoughts on that might be.

CaliCamaro75

Veteran Member
Sep 6, 2015
Winchester,CA
It comes back to ultimately what you want. Like said before I agree stick with stee
12645269_1134073693283683_1088234755049199864_n.jpg
l unless weight reduction is wanted.
My 75 was a fake Z28. I have since changed out those parts since they were damaged anyways. I ended up with a AMD 2 3/4 cowl hood. Which was what I wanted anyways.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
For a 79Z, I would look for the 79Z hood with the scoop....never was a fan of the cowl hood and the early 70 camaros look better with a flat hood (to me atleast)

Zspoiler

Veteran Member
May 6, 2012
Federal Way, Washington
You can use your stock Z-28 and make it functional .Using some parts from a 1980-1 Z-28 .And depending on your engine and budget there are a variety of hoods you can use .Just look through the gallery and the different hoods in steel fiberglass and carbon fiber to pick from .I use a 6" Glastek fiberglass hood on mine .Because I have a mini blower underneath .But its your choice .And good luck on your choice,
image6.jpg