New-ish leaf springs lean?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Da_Raabi, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

During the progress of my rebuild I installed pretty-much 100% new suspension. This included Custom Works rear springs. Now that I'm actually starting to drive the car around the neighborhood (3 years later), I've noticed that the driver's side rear is... leaning. As in it sits lower than the passenger side. My dad was able to "even it out" by lifting the fender lip above the rear tire about an inch.

Any idea why this would be? I've probably got about a mile of total driving on these springs, even though they have been on the car for a few years.

I do have shocks installed - Monroe OE spectrum.

Tires are old rollers, but they are fairly even in tread wear.

Front end is way out of alignment. Could this impact rear ride height for some reason?

2. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

Raising a front corner will lower the opposite rear corner. It could be possible that you need to check the front out, particularly the springs and how they are seated in the a-arm.

3. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Hmm. Interesting. When I assembled the front suspension I did struggle rather severely with a parts store spring compressor and therefore just barely got the front springs installed. I know that you are supposed to "clock" the coil spring into the lower arm, but I did not pay attention to that when I did the install.

So you are saying this could be contributing to my back-end lean?

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unless you have some very high rate springs, I don't think that not clocking the front springs would show a noticeable lean in the rear. It would be more prevalent in side to side on the front.

5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Well they are the 2G big block lowering springs. I'm not sure what the exact rate is but they sure were a PITA to install. I've never noticed a lean in the front either

6. Z27LS3

Z27LS3 Veteran Member

as a quick starting point I would be inclined to get the leaf spring front and rear hardware adequately loosened up, get the car down on the ground with weight on suspension and the torque to specs just to see..........maybe then start measuring
    leaf springs and comparing side to side.....

7. vwtanner

vwtanner Member

I had the same problem when I installed new springs. One thing you might try park your car on a level flat surface turn your front wheels all the way to the left and measure the difference at the rear, from side to side then turn your wheels all the way to the right and measure the difference at the rear. I my case this changed the differance I saw in the rear.
    After trying a multitude of things I finally corrected the issue by getting the front end aligned and also removing and reinstalling the rear axle making sure it is perfectly aligned on the mounting pads and centered in the bracket. Once I did this I’ve had no more ride height problems .

8. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Your first call should be to the place you bought the coils, ha ha. Measure the car all 4 corners and see where the problem seems to originate. In the front, take the shock out and look up through the hole in the lower arm and make sure the coil is in the upper pocket correctly. As for the lower pocket, make sure it is not on top of the notch to keep the coil from spinning. Usually when cars sit cooked it's because the body bushings are severely deteriorated or missing. If you need those give us a call! Also if all checks out, then get front end aligned. Likely there is an issue somewhere that needs to be addressed

9. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking there is a good chance my front coils are not seated correctly as I did have a hell of a time getting them in, thanks to crappy auto parts store rental tools. I didn't really pay much attention to clocking etc.

I did also torque the rear spring hangars while in the air, so there could be some binding there too. I'll loosen them up on the ground and see what happens.

I'll take a good look at it all and see what I can come up with. Hopefully I don't have to fuss with the coils too much... I hate those things.

And I know... I should have just called you guys. I just figured I might get a quick answer here without bothering y'all on the phone. I appreciate you putting in some suggestions here anyway though!

10. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

I don't use a spring compressor when installing our springs. I usually seat them at the top and put a little force on the lower arm with a jack, then with the use of a pry bar I pop them in place. It is NEVER fun, but it works. Like I said, measure each corner and see where the issue starts, also look at body bushings