New law to help stop robocalls

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

The link doesn't go to a story on spam calls.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, Congress enacted this "law" last year and it didn't help because there are no teeth in the law. If anything, robocalls increased significantly since it took effect. Now, they set a deadline, but don't expect that to make any difference either.
    My phone still rings much of the day with that crap.

The link takes you to the main page. You have to scroll down to the Consumer section to read the story.

4. Knuckle Dragger

Well that sucks, try the new link

5. Knuckle Dragger

Not this one Gary, it went into effect on June 30th. My coworker and I were commenting on how quite it had been for the scammers. I ignore them, but he answers just to jack with them.

6. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't answer any calls unless the number is in my contacts info. Even on my company phone constant calls about my vehicles extended warranty expiring. If its someone I know and they need to talk to me they can send a text.

mrfleet12, Da-bigguy and brooksman9 like this.
  7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I don't get any robocalls since my phone screens everything that detects it as spam
    and if it's not spam I can just have my own robot pick up to screen the call

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Before firing up my laptop this morning, I was looking at the cards on my phone and ran across this:

https://www.engadget.com/major-carriers-implemented-fcc-anti-spoofing-spam-calls-090503217.html

So, if I understand things correctly, it only means that spam calls will continue, but they will actually be using their true phone numbers that can be readily attributed to the spammer.

Some people, myself included, need to answer calls from numbers they don't recognize. If I get a spammer, I just hang up.

I do get legitimate phone calls that are labeled as spam because of phone users automatically reporting numbers they don't recognize as "spam". For instance, my medicare supplement is proactive about offering additional free services and their phone number shows as "spam".

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

I'm guessing landlines don't matter anymore. Got a call at my business yesterday. ID said it was from a local business, which I have done work for. Well at least now I know "My Google business listing could be in danger".

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Why all the flack? I got 23 car warranty policies on my car. Ain't worried about anything happening to it.

Seriously, sometimes I DO answer their calls and keep them on the phone as long as I can to waste their time. I tell them all kinds of made up crap. Since I'm a truck driver, spare time is something I have plenty of. I had one guy fighting mad a few weeks ago.

1972_Z-28 likes this.