New member, "new" '77 Z28 owner with a few tag questions?

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by bnz433, Jan 2, 2020.

1. bnz433

bnz433 New Member

Hey, folks! New member, just got my '77 home last weekend!!!

I had a '77 Z28, black w/buckskin interior, 4spd posi car back in high school. Bent it up racing in the hilltowns I grew up in. Started looking for a decent driver '77 Z28 a bit ago, and just picked one up.....maybe???

It's been repainted, and a 10-footer in terms of paint quality. But in rechecking some VIN/tag info, I'm coming up with some conflicting info. It's a Van Nyes built car. Being a '77, and a CA build, not everything is as clear as the Norwood cars.

Namely, some of the body tag info indicates that all Van Nyes built Zcars had an 8 (while Norwood actually stamped them Z28). However, mine has two dashes "- -" in the location. Body color, interior color vinyl, etc., are correct. It has the 350/auto, but engine code may not be matching. If it's a Z28 "clone", they went through a lot to get there!! Black HL and markers, Z wheels (with 3 of four of them even having the raised stamped Z28 cap, although the paint is worn off), Z28 gauge cluster surround and horn cap, stripes, black bumpers, black front/rear window trim, etc.

I haven't crawled around, yet, looking at front sway bar size, spacers, rear end (it's not a posi, but that was an option), etc. Back seats have LT covers, but prior owner included Z-car proper matching black covers.

Anyone prove/disprove that the "8" on the body tag is ALWAYS present on Van Nyes built Z28's???

Attached Files:

2. bnz433

bnz433 New Member

Found another thread here, from 2016 indicating that Van Nyes built Z28's didn't start getting the "8" on the Fisher Body tag until late in '77 or into '78? Mine looks to be a March build date, so the "- -" on the body tag may jive with other info I've found. So I guess I'll be crawling around underneath for other indicators of it being a Z.

3. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Here is a pic of the body tag from my '77 Z. Van Nuys car. I bought it new. It's a little hard to read. It has primer on it. I hope it helps and welcome to the site! 20200102_142412.jpg

4. bnz433

bnz433 New Member

Thanks! Yes, your tag's "- -" helps my confidence a bit. And being an April build versus my March build (04C vs 03C) lends some credence to the thought that the "8" in that part of the body tag may have been only later builds in the year.

It would be interesting for any Van Nuys (sorry for the misspell previously, autocorrect must have been thinking of Bill Nye the Science guy??) owners with an "8" could chime in with their body's date code??? Unless someone already knows what that date code was when Van Nuys added the "8"?

Looking forward to learning and contributing here. Couple tidbits I'm researching with respect to '77 Z28...
    1) Why do some of the headlights have bright "edges" while others are all black? Even OE replacements I've found (Classic Industries, Year One, etc.) all have the bright edge with black "inside" the buckets?
    2) Why do some have bright taillight trim, while others are black?
    3) I seem to recall that my '77 Z28 (I was the 2nd owner in '91) had black inside the outer door handles, leaving only a chrome edge around it. My memory could be wrong, though???
    4) Did all Z28 with manual windows have a black nob or a "clear tanish" knob? My current '77 has the latter, but have seen various, with no apparent common thread with respect to interior colors, etc.?
    5) Were drip edges an option only? My '77 in high school had it, but not this one.

I'm sure there's more, but my Classic Industries "wish list" is already loaded with the bits and pieces I'll be buying to start tinkering in the Spring with my 4 and 6 year old boys!!!

Jamie

5. chris s

chris s New Member

After years of looking at trim tags on second generation Camaros I have never seen a “8” on a Van Nuys ‘77 Z28 trim tag . Starting in ‘78 the z28 used the 8. So you have to look farther to verify, the obvious would be the engine code L as the 5 th digit of the VIN , still you could have that on other Camaros, but the Z28 would only use the L 350 4 bbl. secondly ‘77 Z28’s only came in certain colors, black being one of them. If the original engine is gone, and it was a manual transmission car, it should be made by borg Warner, the axle codes should also be unique, as the automatic cars should use a 3.42 .manuals would use 3.73 and finally out of all the late ‘70’s van nuys cars I’ve seen, the build sheet should still be in the backrest of the rear seat, and that will tell you for sure.

6. severum17

severum17 New Member

I can tell you a few things about this car. I am the original and still owner of a black 77 that looks very much like yours. I have a deluxe black interior in mine. I had it painted a few years ago due to the thin paint from the factory and replaced the decals with original ones from GM.
    My headlight bezels are original and have bright edges. I painted the door handles black years ago but from the factory there was black tape on the inside of the handle.My manual windows have the clear knobs. I had drip moldings from the factory but they were the cheap plastic stick ons. I replaced them with the nice stainless ones when it was painted. My taillamp trim is black, as well as the window trim. I cant get to the VIN tag right now but if you have questions about it, email me and I will be happy to look at it.
    Hope this helps.
    Michael morfam@ameritech.net

Attached Files:

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mine I wish I had kept. My very 1st new car I ordered. 1977 Z28, 4-speed, tilt, with a/c. I need a Time Machine.
    8A843BFB-1DCB-4155-BC1E-3195992026A0.jpeg

D6179BC9-AC36-44E5-90B7-BB824CF7CEF4.jpeg

8. bnz433

bnz433 New Member

Thanks severum17 and COPO! Some more trim package research tells me that, perhaps, the Z21 option package got the Drip Edges, the black door handle insert, and a few other items (I forget)….

My window trim is black, as it should be, with a couple spots of the paint pealing. My headlight bezels are black, but looks like a prior owner refinished them because they are a high gloss black, and have runs in the paint (like some of the body paint does!!). But my taillight trim is "bright", but could have peeled off as well? They're old, with crackling lenses, so they're on the list of cosmetic replacements this Spring.

9. bnz433

bnz433 New Member

Thanks, Mark!!