new member, new project and a few questions

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by KReynolds, Aug 24, 2012.

1. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Sharp looking car! If it helps you any, it appears to me to be a basic sport coupe with a little bit of Type LT and Z28 parts added to it by previous owners. You guys have a good looking project to work with and welcome to the site. - Dave

2. KReynolds

KReynolds New Member

Thanks for the information guys. You've answered our biggest question so far and taught me that I have much more to learn.

Given the car as it sits, how would you go about restoring it? Would you put it back together like it is, a mix of models and years, or would you try to go back to original with it? It's not destined to be a show car, just something fun to drive and possibly going to my son when he's old enough.

3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Best advise i have and i dont want this to sound bad. But its not a Z28 or a rare model so build it for you and have fun with it.

4. wildcamaro

wildcamaro Veteran Member

Def looks like a "hey let's make this camaro a z28" that someone didn't finish...although I am restoring an 81 sport coupe myself and often wondered what just the skirts would look like, but I can't help being a purist in the fact I like to see all original ext/int...

But anyway I love that ext/int color combo very nice and that is an awesome candidate to redo as it looks pretty solid as I know how hard it can be to build a car "someone else" took apart lol...anyway you should start a build thread so we can check your progress...good luck

5. 80camaro350rs

80camaro350rs Member

Welcome and it looks way better than what i started with and am still working on lol

6. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver A Scholar and a Gentleman

+1. I bought a cherry '79 Berlinetta Coupe at the age of 19 and spent the last 11 years deciding if I want to restore/resto-rod/pro-street/full-on drag race it. Had I decided my plan BEFORE I cut it up and threw away a bunch of important stuff (spare tire and compressed air cans, beauty rings, center caps, 8-track player, headliner, original engine/tranny/rear end, seats, heater, etc...you see where this is going) I'd probably be placing in shows or on the track. Right now I'm stuck in the middle and can't place anywhere. Since the car is already missing many of the big and expensive OEM peices, lay out a plan for making its "reincarnation" fun for you...but HAVE A GOAL AND PLAN FIRST!

7. CogentZ28

CogentZ28 Veteran Member

Your car is a base model Sport Coupe. I have seen a few Camaros in the past where someone swapped different emblems on the car, often cloning a Z28, or in this instance, a Type LT. If you want to know more about the Camaro, you can order the invoice through GM Media Archive.

Information:
    Order form: http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=ordform
    An example: http://77rs.homestead.com/Dealer_Invoice_-_edit.jpg

---

1Q87L8L - 1978 Chevrolet Camaro Sport Coupe built at the Van Nuys, California plant with the optional LM1 5.7L 350ci V8 engine.

ST 78 1FQ87 L 222982 BDY
    TR 62R A51W63L63U PNT
    05C T 3 - 151656

ST 78 - 1978 model year
    1FQ87 - Camaro Sport Coupe
    L - Built at the Van Nuys, California plant
    222982 BDY - Build number
    TR 62R - Tan vinyl interior
    A51 - Bucket seats (standard on all Camaros)
    W63L63U PNT - Camel upper and lower water based paint
    05C - Built the third week of May
    T - Tan dash, steering wheel, and column
    3 - With optional RPO A31 power windows
    - Standard Sport Coupe
    151656 - Sequential number

8. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

Welcome to the board! :)

I dig the copper color too. Looks like an easier project than many here. And you're right, those aren't Camaro bucket seats.

Another place to find info on your car is the build sheet. Copies might be found in various places, but the most common are on floor under the driver's side rear seat bun and behind the rear seat back. The build sheet would list all the options on your car.

Looks like you're off to a great start. Have fun. :bowtie:

9. KReynolds

KReynolds New Member

Thanks again. Y'all have been a big help in deciphering the car for us. I've been busy the last couple of days with a small storm, but hopefully this weekend I can dig into the car and start making a list of all the interior parts we will need. Right now our plans are to take our time and put together a solid car that we like. Probably going to keep the bronze color. I haven't seen many of them in my searches.

The previous owner found a build sheet on the fuel tank but it was too beat up to be of any use.

I plan on taking plenty of pictures and will try to post a build thread along the way.

10. KReynolds

KReynolds New Member

Just looked at that invoice. Wow, $5500 for a brand new camaro. It will cost more than that to finish this project.