New Nebraska camaro owner

Discussion in 'Nebraska Camaro Club' started by cnssanders, May 7, 2006.

1. cnssanders

cnssanders New Member

Hi, I recently bought a '70 RS Z28, and I am looking forward to reviving a neglected classic. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and see your rides. Any events coming up? I live in Lincoln.

Just wanted to say hi. Chris

2. mrnastyz28

mrnastyz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hi Chris. I live in McCook and also have a 70 Z28 non RS. Welcome!

3. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Omaha here. Have a 71 RS (clone) that I've been for 12 years! But I'm close. Hoping to get it in for paint sometime this summer so we'll see. Not much of a purist, I kind of like my own style. Welcome to the board. The Nebraska board tends to get neglected...

No events that I know of. Will keep you posted...

4. cnssanders

cnssanders New Member

Its good to see that there are some local 2nd generation fans here in BIG RED country. Hope you got out to vote today. This is my first project car and I am like a kid, excited and nervouse. I dont have a lot to spend on the car right now as my wife has decided to go back to school to become a nurse. Guess being an accountant wasnt for her. Maybe next year I will have the $$$ to "invest". Good news is I may have found a parts car. Should find out more later this week. Are there any used parts to be found in this area? I would assume them to be scarce.
    Nice meetin you, I will be checking in regularly. Chris

5. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Yeah, I felt the same way 12yrs ago when I found my project car sitting in an empty lot.. It had been there a few years, but I finally decided to investigate and have been working on it since. Not because I was lazy, but because its expensive. And, like you I was learning as I went along. Just waiting for an open bay at the paint shop and its going in! Yes, parts are scarce around here, but Greg (mrnastyz28) and another have come thru for me a couple of times. Keep us posted on that parts car. I'm in need of a decent (driver quality) chrome surround. But of course they're pretty pricey new or used.

You looking to do a restore, or going custom?

6. cnssanders

cnssanders New Member

Right now my goal is to do the body work right. The rest of the car I am making into a nice driver. Havent decided on paint-original shadow grey w/blk vinyl top, or custom color. The original drive train is gone. I do have a good idea where the orig. rear end is, I am waiting till I have the $$ and I will approach him about selling that "shelled out worthless" rear axle that goes to my project car. I want to get the car on the road, so I am going to build my 400 and put in a 4 speed tranni that is a borg warner-stock from trans am. I want to enjoy the car and once I get it on the road then I will focus on the rest of the original drive train. Once I get all the parts, then I will may go back to original. May never happen though. I imagine the original Z28 heads are long gone. Good news is that where this car is from, everybody keeps the parts in the area. For the most part they just trade back and forth and I may have luck tracking them down when the times right. Probably not, but you never know.
    I will let you know what turns up on the parts car.
    What color are you painting your 71 RS? Are you going to take it out to that place there on 84th this summer? Would love to see it.
    I dont see many 70-73 camaros out there. Are they really that scarce, or do people just like the 1st gerer that much more? You would think there would be more out there. Even if they were just cool grocery getters. I remember when all I ever saw was camaros.

7. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

I'm going to paint it Candy Apple Red with white stripes. Same color I had the engine painted years ago. If you want to see some fairly recent pics of it go here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/840298

I'd like to head up to 84th this summer, but might take it after my paint job. Nervous about rain/moisture on the primer...

Post some pics of your car.

8. cnssanders

cnssanders New Member

My dad thinks I should paint mine red also. I love the candied colors! Now I understand why the paint job is so expensive. I understand that is a dificult paint job to do. That is going to look awsome!!! I dont blame you for not wanting to take the car out with the primer. I would be the same way.

I will post some pics soon. I am taking some pictures as I go, but sometimes I get into it and forget to go get the camera. My wife is helping me with some pics. I checked out your pics on cardomain. Thats a nice looking car. Does your neighbor still have the furd? Maybe you can get him to convert after he sees yours all painted up.??? Either that or he will hate chevys even more. I need to look into cardomain to document my progress. How do you like working with that website?

Let my know when you are going to be taking it out. I just dont get the chance to see enough of these cars.

9. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

I'll keep you posted. Going to be calling the body shop tomorrow to find out what their schedule is looking like. I know they're almost done with one of their cars, and I think mine is next in line. There's so much more I want to do, but don't want to get into until after the paint is done.

Cardomain is pretty easy to work with. Just sign up and play with it - its pretty user friendly.

Yeah, he still has the Stang. It'd be pretty cool if he could finish that puppy up soon, then we'd both have some pretty bad-ass looking 71's - except mine of course would be better (and faster - he's pretty intimidated LOL). But I think he's going to put it on the backburner for a few more years. He's got other plans at the moment. I give him crap about his ride all the time.

10. Eliminator SS

Eliminator SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey!
    Welcome to the club!
    My name is Sean McNamee, I am the VP of Camaros INC in Lincoln.
    I myself do not live in Lincoln, I live about 30 miles from town. But it is still a part of my stomping ground.

Yes, there are not many early second gen cars in town, or in the state for that matter. There are becoming a few more because of e-bay and shipping them in. But I own the only true original second gen RS/SS in town. As far as I know there is only acouple in the entire state.

Check out my sig and website.
    A very good friend of mine has a TON of camaro parts. So let me know what you need.

Right now he has a complete RS front end, quarter skins, NOS tail panel, bumpers, Z28 only parts, acouple consoles and much more for sale!