New noise... Squeaking

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Twisted_Metal, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Shortly after starting my car a few days ago, I could hear a chirping, squeaking noise.

I thought it was the alternator belt so I changed it. No change in the noise.

I removed the alternator belt completely. The noise was still there.

Moving the steering wheel didn't change anything so I figured it's probably not power steering related.

I removed the power steering belt (alt and PS belts both drive run the water pump) and the noise went away.
    The A/C belt still runs the power steering pump so that eliminated the power steering pump.

With the alternator and PS belts removed, I grabbed the fan clutch and tried to wiggle it... The water pump has a bit of play in the bearing/shaft.

I put the alternator belt back on and the noise is back.
    Now I can hear a very slight growl along with the chirping noise.

I couldn't hear anything different with my stethoscope against the water pump but that might not be unusual if the bearing is just starting to fail. There's been no leaking at the WP weep hole, yet.

I guess it's time for a new water pump as this one is about 12 years old with 60K miles on it and the noise is only present when it's turning. :(

I just completely flushed the cooling system and replaced all of the hoses and fan clutch when I rebuilt my A/C system a couple hundred miles ago.

Now I've got to pull everything apart and drain the system to replace the water pump. :(

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Terry ..a squeaking/ chirping sound can also be a bad roller lifter

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not if the noise goes away when you pull the belt :)

I have seen WP make noise without leaking.

Ken70 and STUCKINCALI like this.
  4. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

The combined tension of both belts might be causing the bearing to squeak, maybe?

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good to know.
    I've had to replace a few of them over the years on multiple cars and the first indication they gave was a few drips of coolant on the floor at the front of the engine. (Which led me to find drips hanging off the bottom of the pump housing.)

It's definitely not internal to the engine. (And I don't have roller lifters or rockers.)

The play in the bearing when I wiggle the fan/clutch assembly shouldn't be there so I'm almost positive it's a water pump issue.

I guess I should remove the fan/clutch assembly and run it again to be sure it isn't something related to the new clutch I recently installed. (I'm going to have to take it off to swap the pump anyway.)

While I'm at it... I can replace the PS belt since it's also several years old and will also be off to swap the pump.

The two things with combined tension (two belts) is the water pump and power steering pump.

The noise only stops when both belts are removed from the pump.

6. Knuckle Dragger

Your diagnostics are spot on. It's been so long since I did an "old school" pump I keep thinking it's a 4 bolt job lol.

7. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

I had a V6 Ciera that had the very best engineered seal of any water pump!
    The pump's bearing was so badly worn that the shaft-impeller cocked & locked in housing ... throwing serpentine belt. But the trashed pump Never Leaked or Weeped a Drop!

grzewnicki likes this.
  8. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Back in my mechanic days I encountered small block Chevy water pumps noisy as he*l with a bearing so bad the fan was very floppy and not so much as a drop of A/F leaking.

9. Knuckle Dragger

The new Tahoes are coming in like that. Enough movement to throw the belt but no fluid loss.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Do you have enough room to spin the water pump with a small cordless drill? Sounds like you have it narrowed down anyways, so maybe try that once you have it off just for peace of mind.