New NPD Dash Pad

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by garyandcindy, Jul 9, 2013.

1. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Assuming my memory is correct now that I have had time to revisit this, there are only five retaining clips which mount the pad from the passenger side to the center of the pad. Then there are only two screws above the cluster and nothing securing the far left driver side of the pad. This is the original GM design and this is the way NPD and other aftermarket pads have been built in order to replicate the original factory design (I assume). I made two modifications. I added an additional screw on the far left as shown in the photos below and the spacer as mentioned in the previous photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. weircc

weircc New Member

Hey Rick, how does the lower aftermarket parts fit with your dash? I'm gonna replace it all

3. Rick@NPD

Rick@NPD Veteran Member

All of our dash pad test-installs have been into cars with all original lower-dashes. We've never test-assembled the pads with the OER pieces. but I doubt you'd have any issues, I think all that stuff is fairly tight, and fits the way it should.

The goal of any reproduction item is to fit nicely/correctly with original components. That's the benchmark. If you have any issues using OER panels with our dash pads, the presumption is that you'd have similar issues with an original pad, and that the onus would be upon OER and their lower pieces.

4. weircc

weircc New Member

Ok thanks. What the newest dash part number with AC. Only asking because looks like they have remastered 3-4 times since this thread has started thanks again

5. Rick@NPD

Rick@NPD Veteran Member

Part #'s remain the same, C-14655-4A is with-A/C

6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have what should be version #3. What improvements have been made with the most recent version (#4?). If it's significant enough then it might be worth my while to "upgrade" to the most recent version.

7. Rick@NPD

Rick@NPD Veteran Member

There have only been 3 revisions to my memory... When did you buy your pad Aaron?

8. 76_TypeLT

I bought it 2/20/15

9. Rick@NPD

Rick@NPD Veteran Member

You are 1-generation behind the most-recent revision. Your generation pad, the issue was primarily with the fit/contour at the leading edge of the pad above the instrument panel. The issue was not universal, there were good pads and not-so-good pads, it was a bit inconsistent (and hence maddening.. ;) ).

If you are happy with the overall fit of your pad at the top leading edge, then you have little to gain in exchanging, you'll just be going to a bunch of trouble and we'll ship pads two directions to make intangible difference.

If you are not happy with the fit, then you might want to exchange. If you have any issue dealing with the NPD location that you purchased it from, tell them to have a manager contact me (Rick Schmidt) and I'll remember you.

Rick
    NPD

10. 76_TypeLT

thanks for the clarification. I am about to start fitting the dash pad so it helps to know what to look for. I suppose I can do a test run and see how the pad fits without going the distance.

So if I do a test fit and it's one of the "not-so-good" pads, are you doing a direct exchange with a current-generation pad, minus S&H costs?